AnsweredAssumed Answered

Creating unique parent records from child table

Question asked by jlin on Oct 8, 2012
Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Creating unique parent records from child table

Hi,

I am a FM beginner and am developing my first database for use in a meta-analysis (a quantitative synthesis of multiple empirical studies).  I have a fairly simple question but have not been able to find the answer in any available training materials or forums.       

I need to track information about STUDIES, the main entity.  Each study comes from one journal, and each journal can be associated with multiple studies.  Now, I also want to track journal impact factors (and their relationship with study effect sizes) and therefore created a separate table, JOURNAL.  So, JOURNAL --> STUDIES is a one-to-many relationship, with JOURNAL being the parent. 

My goal is to enter data from the STUDIES table in the related JOURNAL:: Journal Name field, and thereby populate the blank JOURNAL table with unique records, meaning one record for each journal.  When I try to allow creation of new records based on this relationship, the values in the JOURNAL table duplicate, so I have multiple records of the same journal. (So, if I enter "Nature" in the Journal Name field for 2 records from the STUDIES table, the JOURNAL table then shows 2 records that each say "Nature.")  I just want a running list of journals so that as I enter data about studies, I have a comprehensive list of all the journals represented.    

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you. 

Outcomes