6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2009 8:00 AM by yawa

Creating, Viewing, and Relating Tables in FM10

yawa

Title

Creating, Viewing, and Relating Tables in FM10

Hi all,

I'm very new at this, so please forgive any elementary questions. I'm using the Contact Management starter solution database to keep track of individual clients for a business. Several separate clients also tend to work at the same company. However, I'd also like to use a table (in the same database) to keep track of projects that correspond to companies (not individual clients).  Therefore, I wanted to use a single tab from the "Task Management" starter solution, but keep it as a separate table (not separate database) in the Contact Management database.  Ideally, I"d like this table to appear as a tab, with info on projects that correspond to companies (even though the Contact Management database is organized by clients, and not companies - though there is a field that denotes the company).

When I've created a new table in the Content Management database (that I've named "Project Management," I also can't see it - even though under "manage" and "tables" it is there. How do I create this new table, view it, then relate the companies to each other so I can enter info about the company's projects?

I've read past threads that deal with similar questions, yet the user was using FM9 and apparently there is a "copy & paste" funtion for tables in that version that no longer exists in FM 10, or I'm not finding it. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Creating, Viewing, and Relating Tables in FM10
          TSGal

yawa:

Thank you for your post.

Once you create your "Project Management" table, then click on the Fields tab (assuming you are still in Manage -> Database...), and define your fields.  Exit out of Manage -> Database and under your Layouts list, the last one shown is "Project Management".  This will display the fields you just created (assuming it was your first time into Manage -> Database to create the Project Management table).  If the fields don't show, then pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".  In the Status Area at the top of the window, there are a number of icons.  Placing your cursor on top of them for a second will display what the icon does.  Towards the right end, there is a Field tool.  Click this icon and drag it onto the layout where you want a field to appear.  When you let go, a dialog box appears asking you to select the field you want displayed.  Repeat these steps until you have the desired layout.  Return to Browse Mode and start entering records.

This should give you a good start.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Creating, Viewing, and Relating Tables in FM10
            yawa

TSGAL:

Thanks so much for your help! Since I didn't hear back from anyone for a couple of days,  I created a "Project Mangement" table in a new database. Now, I would like to insert that table into my "Content Managment" database.  However, I'd like to ensure that the records for projects are sorted by company name  (a field in the "Content Management" database) rather than by individual client (as records are sorted in "Content Management.")  Could you advise me on how to sync these two up in such a relationship?

I really really appreciate it, and hope you have a great weekend!

yawa

Y

• 3. Re: Creating, Viewing, and Relating Tables in FM10
              TSGal

yawa:

There are two ways to insert that table into your "Content Management" database.  The easiest was would be to import the "Project Management" table from your new database into the "Content Management" database.  When you go to import, the "Target" is the table for the current layout.  If you click on the pop-up for "Target" and select "New Table", the information will be imported into a new table.  Then, you can link the two tables together through the Relationships tab under "Manage -> Database..."

The other method would be to just link the two database tables together, by going to the Relationships tab under "Manage -> Database...", clicking the bottom left icon to add a table, and then selecting the external database file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Creating, Viewing, and Relating Tables in FM10
                yawa

Thanks once again Tsgal!  I was able to successfully import the "project management" database as a table into the "contact management" database, and create the relationship between fields in the two tables. Yet the "project management" layout did not remain the same once imported (e.g. all my tabs, colors, etc.. are gone and all the fields just appear in one vertical list). Is there any way to retain the previous formatting work I've done?  Or am I just viewing the table incorrectly?

Also - And this is probably very elementary - I can't figure out how to switch between tables - to view or enter records. When I'm in the original "contact managment" table, I can select "project management" under the -> layout menu, but once I'm in 'project management," I can't get back to "contact management" without exiting out of the database completely, then re-opening it. I'm sure I"m doing something wrong..

Thank you so much!!

yawa

• 5. Re: Creating, Viewing, and Relating Tables in FM10
                  TSGal

yawa:

I'm glad you were able to import the records successfully.

When you import the data, you do not import the layouts.  You will have to re-create them.  However, there is an easy way to do this.

1. In the old "Project Management" database, take measurements of the Header, Body, Footer and any other parts of the layout.  You can get these measurements by going into Layout Mode, pulling down the View menu and select "Object Info".  A little box displays with information.  If you click on the Header, you may see the last box display 0.250 inches.  This means the Header is 0.250 inches in height.  Write down this information for each of the other parts.

2. Go to the new file, select the "Project Management" layout (under View -> Go to Layout -> ... ).  It may be easier at this point to create a new Blank Layout (under the Layouts menu) and again, display the "Object Info".  Click on the Header and enter the same information for the Header from the original layout.  Do the same for Body and Footer.  If you need to add a part, do that, too.

3. When completed with the blank layout, return to the old "Project Management" table, and since you are still in Layout mode, select all and copy to the clipboard.

4. Go to the new file, and paste.  Everything will come across in one big graphic.  Use your arrow keys to move everything you once into the correct position.

This should get you the layout you want.

To switch between Layouts, you can either switch using the Formatting Bar (if turned on), or pull down the View menu and select Go to Layout...

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Creating, Viewing, and Relating Tables in FM10
                    yawa
                       This has been incredibly helpful! I appreciate it!