1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2011 12:09 AM by NaturSalus

Cross Tab Report

NaturSalus

Title

Cross Tab Report

Hello,

I am trying to setup a cross tab report with the following structure

Year: 2009

Deviation Origin----Q1----Q2---- Q3----Q4----------Total

Audit Deviation-------5------4-------3------2------------14

Customer-------------8------7------10-----28-----------53

OOS------------------14-----23-----16-----36-----------89

-----------------------27-----34-----29-----66----------156

Year: 2010

All the data of my current project come from the DEVIATION table

Relevant field of the DEVIATION Table:

__kp_Deviation

DeviationCount. Summary. Count of __kp_Deviation

Total. Calculation. Calculation result is: Number. = DeviationCount

TotalSummary. Summary. = Count of Total

z_Quarter. Calculation.  Calculation result is: Number.   = Ceiling ( Month ( DeviationDate ) / 3 )

z_Q1_Number. Calculation. Calculation result is: Number. = Case ( z_Quarter = 1 ; DeviationCount)

z_Q1_Total. Summary. = Count of z_Q1_Number

z_Q2_Number. Calculation. Calculation result is: Number. = Case ( z_Quarter = 2 ; DeviationCount)

z_Q2_Total. Summary. = Count of z_Q2_Number

z_Q3_Number. Calculation. Calculation result is: Number. = Case ( z_Quarter = 3 ; DeviationCount)

z_Q3_Total. Summary. = Count of z_Q3_Number

z_Q4_Number. Calculation. Calculation result is: Number. = Case ( z_Quarter = 4 ; DeviationCount)

z_Q4_Total. Summary. = Count of z_Q4_Number

The Cross Tab Report is on the Report Deviation by Origin & Quarter Layout based on the DEVIATION table and the Default View = List View.

The Structure of the  Report Deviation by Origin & Quarter Layout is the following:

HEADER

Sub-summary by z_DateDeviationYear (Leading)

Sub-summary by DeviationOrigin (Leading)

Trailing Grand Summary

I am attaching a picture with view of the Report Deviation by Origin & Quarter Layout 

In order to see if it is working first I switch to Browse Mode,

then Sort Records by the foowing Sort Order:

• z_DateDeviationYear
      • z_Quarter
      • DeviationOrigin

Ascending Order

finally I witch to Preview Mode.

Unfortunatelly I am not getting what I was expecting.

The real data as entered in the database and summarized by hand are (BTW this is the way I would like the Report to look like):

Audit Deviation-------1------2------0-----0-------------3

Customer Dev--------2------0------0-----0-------------2

EHS Deviation--------0------1------1-----0-------------2

Inspection------------0------0------2-----1-------------3

TOTAL----------------3------3------3-----1------------10

Inspection------------0------1------1-----0-------------2

OOS-------------------2------1------0-----0-------------3

TOTA------------------2------2------1-----0-------------5

However I am not getting this. Since it seems that I cannot upload 2 images in the same post I will try to upload  a second image in the next post.

So my question is, what should I modify to get the report desired?

Thanks,

natursalus

report_layout_1.jpg

• 1. Re: Cross Tab Report
          NaturSalus

This is how it looks like my report:

As you can see the marginal totals are wrong and the repeated occurrences for a particular Deviation Origin are shown individually

natursalus

• 2. Re: Cross Tab Report
            philmodjunk

First off, I'd use this layout structure:

Leading Sub Summary when sorted by Year
                Put year and column header labels here

Leading Sub Summary when sorted by DeviationOrigin
                 Put DeviationOrigin and 5 filtered portals here to get 6 coluns in your cross tab

Trailing Sub Summary When Sorted by Year
                  Put 5 Filtered portals here to get yearly totals.

Note that there is no body part. I'm suggesting this structure on the assumption that you want to see data from more than one year at a time, grouped by year.

Define this relationship:

Deviation::anyfield X AllDeviations::anyField

AllDeviations is a new table occurrence of Deviation. All portals on this layout will use this relationship, but with different filters.

You'll need just one "count of" summary field, sTotalCount, that counts a never empty field, such as DeviationOrigin for all the total counts in your report.

Each portal will refer to Alldeviations, and be set to display one portal row. Each will contain the same field, sTotalCount. Given how similar they are, you can set up one portal and then duplicate it 9 times and just change the portal filter expression for each one.

The Upper Q1 portal would use a portal filter such as:

Deviation::DeviationOrigin = AllDeviations::DeviationOrigin And Deviation::Year = AllDeviationYear and AllDeviation::z_Quarter = 1

The lower Q1 portal would have:

Deviation::Year = AllDeviationYear and AllDeviation::z_Quarter = 1

The upper "Total" portal would use:

Deviation::DeviationOrigin = AllDeviations::DeviationOrigin And Deviation::Year = AllDeviationYear

The lower "total" portal would use:

Deviation::Year = AllDeviationYear

• 3. Re: Cross Tab Report
              NaturSalus

Hello Phil,

Thank you for your guidance.

I will implement your suggestions.

Thanks,

natursalus

• 4. Re: Cross Tab Report
                philmodjunk

Spotted a typo. AllDeviationYear Should read as AllDeviation::Year

• 5. Re: Cross Tab Report
                  NaturSalus

Hello Phil,

Excellent support.

Thanks,

natursalus

• 6. Re: Cross Tab Report
                    NaturSalus

Hello Phil,

I have implemented all your suggestions, but I am not getting the desired results.

First of all, the desired report, based on the the actual data in the database.

Inspection------------0------1------1-----0------------2

TOTAL-----------------2------2------1-----0-------------5

Please have a  look at the result that I get after Sorting the records in Ascending order first by Year and then by DeviationOrigin.

• 7. Re: Cross Tab Report
                      NaturSalus

In the next posts I am goint to document what I did.

First of all the relationship between DEVIATION and AllDEVIATION both TOs of the DEVIATION table.

• 8. Re: Cross Tab Report
                        NaturSalus

Second, the relevant fields of the DEVIATION table

In red the changes suggested by you.

Relevant field of the DEVIATION Table:

__kp_Deviation

DeviationCount. Summary. Count of __kp_Deviation

Total. Calculation. Calculation result is: Number. = DeviationCount

TotalSummary. Summary. = Count of Total

TotalCount. Summary. = Count of DeviationOrigin

z_Quarter. Calculation.  Calculation result is: Number.   = Ceiling ( Month ( DeviationDate ) / 3 )

z_Q1_Number. Calculation. Calculation result is: Number. = Case ( z_Quarter = 1 ; DeviationCount)

z_Q2_Number. Calculation. Calculation result is: Number. = Case ( z_Quarter = 2 ; DeviationCount)

z_Q3_Number. Calculation. Calculation result is: Number. = Case ( z_Quarter = 3 ; DeviationCount)

z_Q4_Number. Calculation. Calculation result is: Number. = Case ( z_Quarter = 4 ; DeviationCount)

• 9. Re: Cross Tab Report
                          NaturSalus

Third, the layout setup

The Structure of the Report Deviation by Origin & Quarter Layout is the following:

• Sub-summary by z_DateDeviationYear (Leading). Place the DEVIATION: z_DateDeviationYear field as well as the Quarter (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4) and Total labels.

• Sub-summary by DeviationOrigin (Leading). Place the DEVIATION::DeviationOrigin field and 5 filtered portals here to get the 6 columns of your cross tab report (Deviation Origin, Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, Total).

• Sub-summary by z_DateDeviationYear (Trailing). Place 5 filtered portals to get the yearly totals.

Note that there is no Body part.  

PORTALS

Every Portal will referer to the AllDEVIATION TO and will be set to display one portal row. Each Portal will contain the same field: DEVIATION::TotalCount

The Upper Q1 Portal would use a portal filter by Calculation such as:

• DEVIATION::DeviationOrigin = AIIDEVIATION::DeviationOrigin

And

• DEVIATION:: z_DateDeviationYear = AllDEVIATION::z_DateDeviationYear

And

• AllDEVIATION:: z_Quarter = 1

The Upper "Total" Portal would use a portal filter by Calculation such as:

• DEVIATION::DeviationOrigin = AIIDEVIATION::DeviationOrigin

And

• DEVIATION::z_DateDeviationYear = AIIDEVIATION::z_DateDeviationYear

The Lower Q1 Portal would use a portal filter by Calculation such as:

• DEVIATION::z_DateDeviationYear = AllDEVIATION::z_DateDeviationYear

And

• AllDEVIATION:: z_Quarter = 1

The Lower "Total" Portal would use a portal filter by Calculation such as:

• DEVIATION::z_DateDeviationYear = AIIDEVIATION::z_DateDeviationYear

The Portal filters for the rest of the quarters (Q2, Q3 & Q4) are similar to the one for Q1

the only changes are:

for Q2: AllDEVIATION:: z_Quarter = 2

for Q3: AllDEVIATION:: z_Quarter = 3

for Q4: AllDEVIATION:: z_Quarter = 4

• 10. Re: Cross Tab Report
                            philmodjunk

All that you have set up looks to be correct. In the screen shot, the in correct totals would be those found in the "total" column and the Trailing Sub Summary  "when sorted by year" row. Are the totals in the Q1 through Q4 columns correct?

Does your found set include all Deviation records for the two years shown in the screen shot?

Have you checked a table view of the raw data to confirm that the z_Quarter and z_Year fields are returning the expected values for every Deviation record?

• 11. Re: Cross Tab Report
                              NaturSalus

Hello Phil,

THINGS THAT LOOK WRONG

If you compare the desired report, based on the the actual data in the database, and the data in the Report Deviation by Origin & Quarter you see incorrect data in:

• The Number of Deviations for each Type of Deviation Origin.

So,

Instead of: 

I am getting:

Audit Deviation-------3------3------0-----0-------------3

EHS Deviation--------0------2------2-----0-------------2

Inspection------------0------0------3-----3-------------3

TOTAL---------------10-----10----10-----10-----------10

Inspection------------0------2------2-----0------------2

OOS-------------------3------3------0-----0-------------3

• The Yearly Totals for each Quarter

So,

Instead of: 

I am getting:

OOS-------------------3------3------0-----0-------------3

THINGS THAT LOOK RIGHT

The Lateral Totals for each DeviationOrigin type seem to be okay as well as the Grand Total

So,

It was expected: 

I am getting:

OOS-------------------3------3------0-----0------------3

TOTAL-----------------2------2------1-----0------------5

In a word what is not working is the counting of deviations for each type of DeviationOrigin.

In the screen shot, the incorrect totals would be those found in the "total" column and the Trailing Sub Summary  "when sorted by year" row.

In the Trailing Sub Summary part, there are two types of totals:

• Totals per Quarter
                              • Grand Total

Totals per Quarter are all wrong.

Grand Total is correct

Are the totals in the Q1 through Q4 columns correct?

No.

The totals per Quarter are all incorrect.

Does your found set include all Deviation records for the two years shown in the screen shot?

Yes. I am attaching picture.

Have you checked a table view of the raw data to confirm that the z_Quarter and z_Year fields are returning the expected values for every Deviation record?

Since the number of fields is big I have to check the data individually.

For example:

Deviation 1

Deviation Number: 1

Deviation Date: 06/01/2009

DeviationOrigin: Customer Service Deviation

z_Quarter = 1

z_Q1_Number = 15

z_Q2_Number =

z_Q3_Number =

z_Q4_Number =

z_Q1_Total = 5

z_Q2_Total = 5

z_Q3_Total = 4

z_Q4_Total = 1

TotalSummary = 15

TotalCount = 15

Deviation 2

Deviation Number: 2

Deviation Date: 12/02/2009

DeviationOrigin: Customer Service Deviation

z_Quarter = 1

z_Q1_Number = 15

z_Q2_Number =

z_Q3_Number =

z_Q4_Number =

z_Q1_Total = 5

z_Q2_Total = 5

z_Q3_Total = 4

z_Q4_Total = 1

TotalSummary = 15

TotalCount = 15

Seems like the problem could be with the:

But so far I cannot spot the mistake.

• 12. Re: Cross Tab Report
                                philmodjunk

Sorry for missing the part of your post where you posted the expected totals.

Since the number of fields is big I have to check the data individually.

Such a table veiw need only have columns for Year, Deviation origin, z_Quarter and Z_Year.

I'd just like confirmation that the fields used in the filters have the correct values for every quarter.

Now that I've finally figured out which section is wrong, we need to look at the DeviationOrigin field. Can you confirm that it is a field of type Text when you examine its definition in Manage | Database | Fields?

I'll gin up a small demo file and see if anything comes to mind when I do so. I can then upload it here for you to download and compare to yours.

• 13. Re: Cross Tab Report
                                  NaturSalus

Hello Phil,

Now that I've finally figured out which section is wrong, we need to look at the DeviationOrigin field. Can you confirm that it is a field of type Text when you examine its definition in Manage | Database | Fields?

Yes it is Text tpe

Such a table veiw need only have columns for Year, Deviation origin, z_Quarter and Z_Year.

I am attaching a picture.

I really appreciate your help.

Crosstab reports is one of my "pending" learning subjects in FM and I want to learn it right.

Thanks,

natursalus

• 14. Re: Cross Tab Report
                                    philmodjunk

Here's a working demo file: http://www.4shared.com/file/ZUAR95fq/DeviationOrigin_CrossTab.html

Can't spot any differences between it and what you have posted. Maybe you will when you take a look at it.

1 2 Previous Next