A runtime file (.USR) will run on the iPad and iPhone with some exceptions: (http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7757/kw/Development%20Guide) but it requires the app FileMaker Go for iPad or iPhone to work on these devices. It also takes some redesign to optimize the solution for the smaller screen sizes, orientations, and processor speed.
AFAIK, it will not work on operating systems other than OSX, Windows…, and iOS.
Thanks. Is there a way of 'being warned' during script production of whether the FM solution will be universally compatible or not?
I assume all FM solutions are always compatible with OSX/Windows for PC? Are there other exceptions?
Lastly (I'm ignorant on this!), why does a runtime solution need 'Go' on the iPad/Phone but not PC/Mac?
When you create a script, there is a warning for script steps that are not web compatible but not for iOS compatibility. Refer to the FM Go Development Guide instead since the list is not too long.
There are some other exceptions for solutions that use IWP (http://www.filemaker.com/support/technologies/iwp.html) but I don't think any of these apply to runtimes. Please note that runtimes are single user applications. If you want to share a common database with more than one user, you will need a FileMaker Pro license on each Mac and PC or use IWP. FileMaker Go on iPads and iPhones can act as a client to shared FM databases on a Mac or PC server as well.
When you make a runtime on Mac or PC using FMP Advanced, it creates 2 or more files: a runtime (.app) and one or more solution files (.USR). The runtime only works on the platform that created it (Mac or PC). On iOS devices, the runtime (.app) is replaced by FM Go.
a FileMaker Go training tool, designed to help Developers learn the functional differences between FileMaker Pro (for the desktop), and FileMaker Go (for the iPhone and iPad).
Thanks, I'm noting these gems.
So with FMP Advanced
1. I'd get 2 licensed installers: 1 for OSX, 1 for Windows, I'd be able to install 1 of each on their respective OS?
2. Eg. create a solution in OSX, wrap it with the separate FMP Advanced copies as runtime versions: 1 for OSX, 1 for Windows?
3. Assuming I've taken care to avoid incompatabilities with iOS and iPad/iPhone users have 'Go" installed, how do I wrap the solution for these iOS devices?
4. What, if any, are the parallel issues when preparing a solution for Windows mobile devices?
2) yes, but test your solutions on both platforms. There are a few issues that are platform specific so you need to be sure a solution works for a given platform before you distribute it to your users.
3) You don't need to create a run time system for iOS devices. You can simply transfer the original .fp7 file to the iOS device and FileMaker Go can open the file.
4) There's a lot of variations as to screen size, etc. You'd need to do some testing with your solution to see how well it functions on them.
3) Most likely, you will not want to distribute your original .fp7 file to your users. Your users can simply transfer the runtime solution file or files (.USR) to their iOS devices and FileMaker Go can open those files.
So if I distribute a runtime solution using a web-based license activation that permits eg. 1y use:
1. Providing I've checked for incompatibilities from the original file I can generate both OSX and Windows runtime solutions and
2. Providing iPad/iPhone users have 'Go' they will transfer the OSX (?) runtime solution? ie. I'd want the same license limits on iOS as for computers.
When providing runtime-solutions for Win AND OSX, make sure you use the same Binding Key's on both OS' when creating the Runtime-Solutions.
Do although testings to check if the .USR ressources are x-compatible.
A lot of users switch from one OS to the other. Try to ensure they can use theirs Win ressources on the Mac, and vize-versa!
(You don't need to do same mistakes as I did :-( )