3 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2011 10:32 AM by philmodjunk

CSV export and text formats

Lodestar

Title

CSV export and text formats

Want to buy FMP, but have this Q: In csv export, can I programmatically recognise text formatting (eg bold, italic) in order to surround the affected plain text output with markup codes which my receiving app can handle? I plan to use FMP to maintain book data displayed in a Wordpress site.

• 1. Re: CSV export and text formats
          philmodjunk

If you haven't already done so, please download a free trial copy of FileMaker so that you can test things out for yourself. That's the best way to get a comprehensive understanding of what FileMaker can and can't do for you. And we'll be happy to answer any questions you have here while you evaluate the application.

There's a function in FileMaker known as GetAsCSS. You can define a calculation field with an expression such as:

GetAsCSS ( YourTextField )

and then you can export this calculation field in place of YourTextField to export the data with CSS tags that will include the HTML text format tags you likely need in order to export both the text and it's format.

• 2. Re: CSV export and text formats
            Lodestar

Thanks PMJ, that sounds like the answer. I have bought FMPA as it seems pretty clear it'll do everything I need.

• 3. Re: CSV export and text formats
              philmodjunk

And good choice in getting advanced. Make sure you learn how to use the script debugger and data-viewer as they can save you hours of "head banging" when a script fails to produce the results you expected Wink