5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 3:31 PM by philmodjunk

Current info not showing up on IWP

DawnCapwell

Title

Current info not showing up on IWP

I am using FM pro 10 for tracking student growth on a few measures over multiple years.  I have been using this for the last 2 years without an issue, but am now having some difficulties.

A couple of the fields that I pull to show up on the sheets are the current grade and the current year teacher.  When I look at it directly on the computer the program is running off of the correct data is displayed in these fields.  However, when I look at it online, the teacher and current grade show from last year.  I I didn't have this problem when kids moved up a grade last year.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Current info not showing up on IWP
          philmodjunk

Can you describe the design of your system in more detail? Not much we can suggest until we know how your system is designed.

One key difference between IWP and regular FileMaker is that script triggers will not automatically perform scripts in IWP except for those "tripped" by the execution of a script. (IF the user clicks in a field, an ONObjectEnter trigger set on it does nothing.) So if you are relying on a script trigger to bring up the correct info, this could explain why it is not working.

• 2. Re: Current info not showing up on IWP
            DawnCapwell

There is one database which covers the student data.  In there, it is the students name, birthdate, teachers for each year, current teacher, and a few other areas such as move in or move out.  The students name and birthdate create a student number which is what is used to develop the relationships between the different data bases.  

As there are different assessments given in reading and math based on grade level, there is a kindergarten reading, a first grade reading, second grade reading, etc.  The files were created with a import of the student number and then a table that is related between the reading or math and the student data.  The fields that are filled in from the relationship with the data are the student name, current grade, and current teacher.  The current grade and current teacher are correct when I am looking at the information on computer it is running on, but when I look at what is published on the web, the teacher and grade from the previous year are what is displayed.  

This is problematic as the teachers would like to be able to sort and display only their class, but the teachers are wrong.  I didn't change anything within the set up from last year to this year and last year it worked fine when the students moved up a grade.

• 3. Re: Current info not showing up on IWP
              philmodjunk

"The students name and birthdate create a student number which is what is used to develop the relationships between the different data bases."

This is not a good design for two reasons: 1) While very unlikely, it's still possible to get two students with matching names and birthdates. Shoule that ever happen, you'll have trouble that's easily avoided if you use serial numbers. 2) Names are subject to data entry errors. If a students name is entered or imported with an inocrrect spelling, then related data using this incorrect data is created, fixing the problem can become a very complex process of tracking down the related records and fixing each one to store the new, corrected student number.

An auto entered serial number is a much simpler and safer option for your relationships. If you need it for other purposes, you can keep the name-birthdate student number, just don't base relationships on it.

None of this is likely to explain why you have this specific issue. It's just that your post revealed a significant design weakness that could cause trouble for you in the future.

"The current grade and current teacher are correct when I am looking at the information on computer it is running on, but when I look at what is published on the web, the teacher and grade from the previous year are what is displayed."

I need to know how that layout is designed. What fields from what tables are listed? Exactly what do the teachers do when they access this web page to pull up the data they need to see? What do they see that's incorrect? Last year's data or ...?

• 4. Re: Current info not showing up on IWP
                DawnCapwell

The other set up was based on a recommendation of someone with much more experience than I had when I had when this venture started.  We have already had the name change happen when a student was adopted and you are right, I did need to go and change it in a number of places.

The current year teacher and the grade are the only thing that are wrong.  They are being pulled from the relationship to the student data which is their biographical data.  The teachers will see the student name, current teacher name, current grade, and then the data from the current entry which was entered.  

Everything is displaying correctly on the web except for the current years teacher and current grade.  We entered data for this year and it is correctly display so they are seeing assessment results from the last couple of days.  The teacher name is displaying last years info.  They want to be able to do a find based on their name and only see their class and this has worked in the past.   So the data itself is correct, but we can't run a report for an individual teacher as the teacher names are not coming across.  I could run a pdf of the file for the main summaries, but in order to allow teachers to do sorting for groups based on specific skill needs, I don't have time to be constantly doing that myself and am not sure how to get the correct info to show up on the web.

I have tried clearing the cache on the web on my machine --- I have asked teachers not to be looking as there is an obvious issue at the moment, but it is showing up as an error on more than one machine when I checked and rebooting the system just in case there was something wierd hanging up in there and no luck.

• 5. Re: Current info not showing up on IWP
                  philmodjunk

I need to know more about the design of your database to have any idea why you are getting incorrect results.

On what table is the layout based where they are viewing this information? Does the layout display all records from a table or only records pulled up by performing a find?

Is the incorrect data from a related table? Related by the above mentioned "studentnumber"?

You might upload a screen shot of Manage | database | Relationships and then tell me which box in that picture is listed in "show Records From" in Layout setup for the layout where you see this incorrect data. Then identify the "box" from which the incorrect data is shown.