Create a calc with text result:
Let ( m = Left ( LastName; 1 );
Case ( m = “I” or m = “J”; "I-J";
m = "P" or m = "Q"; "P-Q";
m = "U" or m = "V"; "U-V";
m ="X" or m = "Y" or m = "Z”; "X-Y-Z";
Now create a subsummary report with this calculation field as the break field. There will be an option to page break under the subsummary part options.
Thank you, I will try to figure out what this all means and let you know the outcome.
Got nowhere with your instructions. They are too technical, over my head. I need a keystroke-by-keystroke road map for something like this. Thanks for trying anyway.
1. Create a new calculation field. Lets call it cLetterRange.
2. Paste the formula that I posted earlier in there except update the "LastName" part of the formula with your last name field.
3. Make sure the calculation has a text result.
4. Use the wizard to create a new layout with subsummary option.
5. When choosing the break field in the wizard, reference cLetterRange