4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2010 1:34 PM by mrvodka

custom alphabetical printing

tat1939too

Title

custom alphabetical printing

I have a database of names/addresses, etc. with about 1200 records. I have created several layouts. One of those layouts, sorted by the first letter of the Last Name, is for printing hard copies of the whole database for myself and coworkers. It’s constantly updated, so I print a clean copy once per year.

I need a script for printing alphabetically by last name so that there is a page break between each letter of the alphabet . For example, if the last “A” name is John Ayres, and the first “B” name is Linda Bates, Linda’s record will appear at the top of a new page.

I also want to be able to combine some contiguous letters on one page if there are only a few entries for one or more of those letters (for instance: “I” and “J,” combining “Q” with either “P” or “R,” “U” and “V” and “XYZ.”

What would be the steps of this script?

• 1. Re: custom alphabetical printing
          mrvodka

Create a calc with text result:

Let ( m = Left ( LastName; 1 );

Case ( m = “I” or m = “J”; "I-J";

m = "P" or m = "Q"; "P-Q";

m = "U" or m = "V"; "U-V";

m ="X" or m = "Y" or m = "Z”; "X-Y-Z";

m

)

)

Now create a subsummary report with this calculation field as the break field. There will be an option to page break under the subsummary part options.

• 2. Re: custom alphabetical printing
            tat1939too

Thank you, I will try to figure out what this all means and let you know the outcome.

• 3. Re: custom alphabetical printing
              tat1939too

Got nowhere with your instructions. They are too technical, over my head. I need a keystroke-by-keystroke road map for something like this. Thanks for trying anyway.

• 4. Re: custom alphabetical printing
                mrvodka

1. Create a new calculation field. Lets call it cLetterRange.

2. Paste the formula that I posted earlier in there except update the "LastName" part of the formula with your last name field.

3. Make sure the calculation has a text result.

4. Use the wizard to create a new layout with subsummary option.

5. When choosing the break field in the wizard, reference cLetterRange