2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 1:34 PM by braxton

Custom field order in table - wiped out

braxton

Title

Custom field order in table - wiped out

I had a very organized custom order of fields in my table.  Now it's gone and in alphabetical order.  I believe I know what happened.  I went to alphabetical order to look for a field.  I then created one and moved it.  And, just like that my total organization of 309 fields is gone.

Other than not repeating what I did is there anyway I can prevent losing a custom field order again?  Can I go to a backup file and replace the order somehow?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Custom field order in table - wiped out
          philmodjunk

Not unless you plan to replace the entire file with your back up and then your changes to the defined fields are lost.

Most developers use a naming convention for their fields such that an alphabetical sort puts the fields into the optimum order for working with them.

Example: I like to see the primary key listed first, followed by a group of all foreign key fields.

So I start the name of my Primary key with: "__pk" and foreign key fields with "_fk". The underscores insure that these are listed first when sorting alphabetically and the double underscore puts the pk field ahead of the fk's.

• 2. Re: Custom field order in table - wiped out
            braxton

Thanks Phil.  I do use prefixes to keep a certain order.  So, it's not a total nightmare.  But, I just did a bunch of housekeeping cleaning up this file.  I was hoping for an easy fix or prevention.  Live and learn!  Thanks again.