3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2014 8:13 AM by philmodjunk

Custom field types

Porpoise

Title

Custom field types

Hi,

Before I send in a feature request, I would like to check that I don't overlook an existing feature. I know about Themes and Styles, but I would like a few custom field types that go beyond size, fonts and colors. For example, almost every date field uses dd-mm-yy as a format, and every time I have to enter this custom definition manually. And a lot of text fields using conditional formatting have to be entered manually, or at best I can copy-paste it from another location.

Most importantly, a custom field type should allow us to change its definition afterwards, If we decide to change the date format, in stead of having to revisit each and every date field.

Please let me know if this functionality is somehow already available.

• 1. Re: Custom field types
          philmodjunk

Field format and field type are not the same thing. You can use data formatting in the Inspector to control how the date is displayed (but not how it is entered.)

And a lot of text fields using conditional formatting have to be entered manually,

What exactly is the issue there and how will you use a custom field type to solve that issue? (Exactly what are you "entering manually"?) (Note that if you select 5 fields while in layout mode first, you can apply the same conditional format to all of them by specifying a single such conditional format expression and color in the conditional format dialog.)

• 2. Re: Custom field types
            Porpoise

All my date fields use dd-mm-yy as format (which is not one of the predefined formats), their width is 90 points and they use a dropdown calendar with the little arrow to show and hide that calendar. I have lots of layouts with date fields. If I have to add 5 fields it is fine to format them at the same time. But I still have to remember my exact formatting guidelines each time (or look them up). And if I add a 6th field later on, I can start over.
                 Worse, if I decide to change the default data format to dd-mm-yyyy, I have to go back to each layout and find the date fields in them. This is tedious and error prone. It's like custom functions. We don't really need them. We could just type them out each time. :-)

• 3. Re: Custom field types
              philmodjunk

I don't think I'd call that a custom field type, but being able to define specific data format settings and incorporating them as part of a layout's theme would be a useful new feature...

It's like custom functions. We don't really need them. We could just type them out each time.

Due to the way custom functions can use recursion, many cannot be replaced by simply typing out the expression in the Specify Calculation dialog. wink

For those who are unaware, you can post new feature requests here: http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html