AnsweredAssumed Answered

Custom furniture company..seperate projects/product using tables or lists?

Question asked by KyleFoley on Apr 12, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 12, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Custom furniture company..seperate projects/product using tables or lists?

I work for a furniture company looking to database our product, and we are looking deeply into FileMaker Pro/Server.

I have done considerable research and messed around with FileMaker but am still confused about storing our information.

We build custom furniture for hotels and resorts, there is no pre-defined catalog of product for customers to choose from. A hotel submits to us their custom order of anywhere from 1-30 pieces of custom furniture and then we price it out and provide a quote. For the most part, no product is the same. We want to database every piece of furniture that is requested and organize it by project. We currently have over 1000 projects.

The goal would be to take an order from a hotel, database the project and each piece in FileMaker, and then export a formal PDF quote for the hotel.

Would I have one table for projects and one table for product, and pull them over? Also, how would I organize the projects? I can't imagine having a dropdown menu with 1000 projects on it. Maybe a tree?

Thank you!

Outcomes