1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 12, 2012 4:27 PM by philmodjunk

Custom furniture company..seperate projects/product using tables or lists?

KyleFoley

Title

Custom furniture company..seperate projects/product using tables or lists?

I work for a furniture company looking to database our product, and we are looking deeply into FileMaker Pro/Server.

I have done considerable research and messed around with FileMaker but am still confused about storing our information.

We build custom furniture for hotels and resorts, there is no pre-defined catalog of product for customers to choose from. A hotel submits to us their custom order of anywhere from 1-30 pieces of custom furniture and then we price it out and provide a quote. For the most part, no product is the same. We want to database every piece of furniture that is requested and organize it by project. We currently have over 1000 projects.

The goal would be to take an order from a hotel, database the project and each piece in FileMaker, and then export a formal PDF quote for the hotel.

Would I have one table for projects and one table for product, and pull them over? Also, how would I organize the projects? I can't imagine having a dropdown menu with 1000 projects on it. Maybe a tree?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Custom furniture company..seperate projects/product using tables or lists?
          philmodjunk

Since a given project can still list many products, you are still looking at at least two tables, maybe more:

Projects----<Products   (---<)

"For the most part, no product is the same"

Since that implies that there may still be cases where the product IS the same, you may still find it useful to use the standard set up even though you sell custom designed products:

Projects----<Items>-----Products

A table of client information is also likely to be useful as you may have more than one project for a given client:

Clients---<Projects

I can't imagine having a dropdown menu with 1000 projects on it.

This is a valid concern but a single drop down list is not the only option for selecting a value. Conditional value lists can split up the list into sections by selecting a category in one field and then that value limits the list of values displayed to just those that are members of that category. There are other script supported approaches that allow you to type in search text and the list of possible values filters down to just those matching or containing the text you type in--updating with each additional keystroke.

Here's a demo file that illustrates several such approaches: http://www.4shared.com/file/plr_jbkk/EnhancedValueSelection.html