6 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2013 2:50 PM by JimMac

Custom Importing/Exporting Secured Records

JimMac

Title

Custom Importing/Exporting Secured Records

When defining a remote "cash register" type DB using a HOST type server, the remote database needs to "update" a table with information from a Secured External File, daily.  In scripting the custom order Import, I receive the USER/Password dialog from the External file, even thought I checked "Run script with full access privileges".

After reading HELP, I found that exception doesn't work with External Files privilege sets.frown

First...

How can I write a script that will log into the External File automatically, import only a few fields [security not required type], and not reveal the required privilege set's info in the remote "Cash Register" DB file?

Second...

At the end of the day, I want to "Save Records as Snapshot Link.." to a Folder on the HOST computer.   Will that file type .fpsl contain security requirements?  The concept being the Snapshot is like a "Cash Register Tape" after clearing daily receipts.

FMP11v2  MacOS 10.7.5

Jim...

• 1. Re: Custom Importing/Exporting Secured Records
          philmodjunk

and not reveal the required privilege set's info in the remote "Cash Register" DB file?

exactly what do you mean by that?

I can't quite picture what "info" that would be...

• 2. Re: Custom Importing/Exporting Secured Records
            JimMac

If I want to Login in, I must enter Admin's user name and password.  To automatically start up a DB using Admin security, the name and password to access that External file, must be entered by a script.  I think??

Is there a way, using a start up script, to supply the USER / Password and keep it concealed in the "Cash Register" DB?

Jim...

• 3. Re: Custom Importing/Exporting Secured Records
              philmodjunk

Still scratching my head on what you want...

Any FileMaker file will open another password protected FileMaker file automatically and without asking for a password IF there are matching account names with identical passwords set up in both files. And these accounts can be "synched" between files using scripts, global fields and passwords.

So I'm not sure I picture why a script would have to specify the account name and password to open a file nor why it would have to be the Admin account to do so.

Maybe this is the reason, You want a script to modify data in the other file to run with "full access permissions". You can do that by using perform script in file 1 to perform a script in file 2. The script in file 2 can then be set to run with full access permissions and to modify the data that a "run with full access permissions" script in file 1 cannot modify.

• 4. Re: Custom Importing/Exporting Secured Records
                JimMac

Thanks for the patiencesmiley

HOSTing a DB which has an Admin only restriction.... Call it File 1   It contains Personel Info, not restricted, like Name and Phone.

New DB file designed for Salespersons who have NO access to the main Accounting File, but with an External Ref to File 1.  

Lets call the New External DB file... File 2wink.

When HOSTing a DB, you must Start Up the HOST first and all associated Files must be OPENed.cool

So per FMP help...

I opened the main Accounting Files, with the proper sequence, and File 1 is opened.

The new DB File 2, not part of the Main Account Files, is now Opened in the HOST. New set of Security, except for Admin.

The start up script of File 2, needs non restricted Data from File 1.  No problem except, to access File 1, since it is an External File, does not recogize the standard "Run script with full access privileges".crying

And...

I get the USER/Password log in screen for trying to access File1 from File 2.  No one around to type it in at 3am or power down resart of HOST.

I didn't want to leave the Admin Name/Password in a script in File 2. 

So...

I was hoping for a easy solutionangel.

I suppose i need to set up a Script in File 2 with restricted security to Start up File 2 and access File 1, Then use Re-Login to force the Clients to have a name/password to access the HOSTed File 2.

Jim...

• 5. Re: Custom Importing/Exporting Secured Records
                  philmodjunk

I wouldn't set up the file to have only an admin account. I'd give it a limited access account that works with the second file to permit access at just the level needed. You could even set up the first file to automatically open with the limited access account/password.

Then users that need admin access can click a relog-in button, open with the shift/option key or can open from a different "opener" file to which only they have access that is opened with the same account/password as the admin account in file 1...

This avoides an overt reference to a password and account name as literal text in a script--something that's both a security risk and a pain to update if you ever need to change the account name and password in file 1.

• 6. Re: Custom Importing/Exporting Secured Records
                    JimMac

From help....

Note  To set up recurring imports, you must open a file with an account that is assigned the Full Access privilege set. For information about privilege sets, see About accounts, privilege sets, and extended privileges. Users do not need to use an account with Full Access privileges to use recurring import after it has been set up in a file.
                         I thought  Yippie....yes
                         But...
                         You must start up File 2 using File 1 privileges from File 1.  I was trying not to do that.  I hoped there was another way.  I do have 3 people with full access.  The issue was "Starting Up" from a host and leaving File 2 as "ready to log in" with its own privileges was the issue.  So i am abandoning Snapshot Link.... and doing a directed import at start up, then as you suggested, restart using a Script called from File 1.  That works.cool
                         Thanks...
                         Jim...