8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2011 7:53 PM by AaronLutze

Custom Interface Design for FileMaker Pro 11

AaronLutze

Title

Custom Interface Design for FileMaker Pro 11

Hi there,

I am a web designer and have my first client looking for a filemaker pro database upgrade. I want to design the interface and am not sure how to best setup the interface with FMP. I am used to using xhtml, css and js to get a web page setup, however, the interface builder appears to be very clunky at best and I am not sure how much custom design I can actually do with FMP.

I have already designed 4 pages in photoshop and the client has approved them, however, I am lost to think how I can transfer nice design, background images and tabs and custom looking buttons into FMP.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• 1. Re: Custom Interface Design for FileMaker Pro 11
          philmodjunk

Have you read the Instant Web Publishing guide that is found in the Documents sub menu of the Help menu? That's a staring point for figuring out what approach may work for you. If you know how to work with PHP, you can also set up custom web publishing with PHP.

• 2. Re: Custom Interface Design for FileMaker Pro 11
            AaronLutze

Thanks for the pointer Phil. From looking at the document it appears 'Static Publishing' is my pathway to develop on for this job, however, the 'Custom Web Publishing' pathway appears to be more powerful. Sadly it requries the FileMaker Server software, which is $999 and my current business doesn't use FMP much at all yet so I can't justify the investment at this stage.

Out of curiosity, do you know of anyone that runs a business that uses FMP or FMS on scale large enough that it is their primary or a significant form of work and income for them? Is there much work out there in the industry for skilled FMP devs?

Cheers

• 3. Re: Custom Interface Design for FileMaker Pro 11
              philmodjunk

There are some. I've had phone interviews with a few of the that work out of the San Francisco Bay Area.

• 4. Re: Custom Interface Design for FileMaker Pro 11
                AaronLutze

Ok, that interests me as I may offer this as a new service one day.

I am still having some problems though, to make things easier, I thought I would attach some screen shots of the new interface I am developing and just find out if this is even possible as I didn't find the documentation to be very effective at giving me instructions on how to get html form elements to link up with a FMP database. If there is a tutorial out there or something that simply gives the code to use that would be great, I am finding this is becoming frustrating and the more I look the more I feel like people don't really use html and css that much to create custom FMP interfaces. Please correct me if I am wrong.

• 5. Re: Custom Interface Design for FileMaker Pro 11
                  Sorbsbuster

I don't see anything there that couldn't be designed in FM.  If you look at any of the templates that come with the FM application you'll see examples of all the features you show.

This is an upgrade to an existing FM database - is it going to be accessed using a Filemaker client?  Even if some users are going to use web access you could design these screens in FM, host it using an FM client, and publish it with Instant Web Publishing.  No...?

• 6. Re: Custom Interface Design for FileMaker Pro 11
                    AaronLutze

Do the templates that come with filemaker exist as html files for me to inspect? If so, where do those files reside?

Yes, the client will just be using a local FMP application to view the DB via a browser, so it's not actually going over the internet, the browser is just there as an added GUI with more features.

• 7. Re: Custom Interface Design for FileMaker Pro 11
                      Sorbsbuster

"the client will just be using a local FMP application to view the DB via a browser"

The file will be hosted by a Filemaker client, so the user can view and use it as a FM file.  Why would they also use a web browser to view it?  If you access the file using a web browser you will lose some very useful functionality from FM.

I am not being rude when I ask, "Are you trying to design the FM database in HTML because it is what you are familiar with?" (we all do that kind of thinking).  But to understand your question it would help if you clarified if that was the driving reason, or is there some other technical reason, or something about your set-up, that means you have to use browser access.

• 8. Re: Custom Interface Design for FileMaker Pro 11
                        AaronLutze

Hey sorbs,

I am a web designer and developer so was wondering if designing the interface in html and css would be a good avenue to travel down. It looks like that may not be the best way to use FM.

I am going to be posting a job on elance if any of your are interested in quoting to do it yourselves, I will supply psd and jpg mockups, and will require someone to make it look as close as possible to the included imagery and work in FM Pro.

Also, I recieved a special deal from FM via email saying I can buy 2 for 1 FM programs and gift one to someone. So it would be good if I could use this deal at the same time as the job is started.

If you or anyone are interested in paid work, please advise and I will forward any interested parties to the job.

Cheers