1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 25, 2009 7:13 AM by Jade

Custom Menus and Change Field Prohibitions

carlz_1

Title

Custom Menus and Change Field Prohibitions

Using FM 10.

2 questions.

1. What is the best way to prohibit the modification of a field.  I have a table where I enter government numbers.  Once I put these in I do not want any user to change them as they will fowl up the calculations used.?  I can use merge fields but merge fields do not truncate in layout mode making it difficult to see what is on the screen.

2. Is there any way of turning off all of the menusand toolbars for an application so that nothing appears across the top?

Thank you again and again for your guidance.

• 1. Re: Custom Menus and Change Field Prohibitions
          Jade

carlz wrote:

1. What is the best way to prohibit the modification of a field. 

There are 3 ways depending on the way you intend to update the fields yourself and whether or not you want to display an error message when a user attempts to change the values.
          i) Select the field(s) in layout mode and choose Field/Control>Behavior… from the Format menu.  Uncheck the "In Browse mode" checkbox.
          ii) Edit the field options (File>Manage>Database…) and check the "Prohibit modification of value during data entry" checkbox (at the bottom of the Auto-Enter tab).
          iii) Edit the Privilege Sets for these users (File>Manage>Accounts & Privileges…).   Set the Records: pop-up menu to "custom privileges…".  Select the table and then set the Field Access pop-up menu to "limited…". Select the field and click the "view only" radio button.

carlz wrote: 

2. Is there any way of turning off all of the menusand toolbars for an application so that nothing appears across the top?

You need the Advanced version to make custom menu changes (Tools>Custom menus).  Consider building your application to be used in KIOSK mode if you want to disable all menu items and toolbars.
          "Kiosk mode is a way of displaying your database solution or your runtime database solution on a full screen, without any toolbars or menus. As the name suggests, Kiosk mode can be used to present your database to users as an information kiosk. You can design your database to run through a touch screen.Database files that open in FileMaker Pro, FileMaker Pro Advanced, or the runtime application can be transformed into files that must open in Kiosk mode for all accounts with a specific privilege set. When you create a solution to run in Kiosk mode, you need to provide navigation for your solution and the ability for users to quit your solution."