7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2013 12:15 PM by philmodjunk

Custom Serial Generation fails

JohnDee

Title

Custom Serial Generation fails

I am having a really hard time generating the serial YY-XXX, yy:year two digits, XXX: three digit serial to increment. I need it to check the current year and if the last serial is last years, to start over (eg. the last serial being 13-067 in Jan. 1 will lead the next serial to be 14-001). Otherwise to simply increment from the highest XXX by one.

Upon the suggestion of another developer I am using executesql for this since fm’s context awareness in the find command renders this unworkable. Having said this I fail to see how fm doesn’t have a way to output this pretty rudimentary serial without resorting to executesql. 

The script outputs a ? after the executesql command and thus fails to work. (I doubt this is the problem, but I am using a non latin alphabet for field names, that seem to work fine everywhere)

Anyway, here’s the code:

Let ( [

maxSer = ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT MAX ( Project No ) FROM Projects ; "" ; "" ) ;

Year = Right ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ; 2 ) ;

YearSerial = Left ( maxSer ; 2 ) ;

NumeralSerial = Right ( maxSer ; 3 ) ;

IncrementNew = Case ( YearSerial = Year ; SerialIncrement ( NumeralSerial ; 1 ) ; "001" )

] ;

MaxSer

)

• 1. Re: Custom Serial Generation fails
          philmodjunk

First, I strongly recommend that you not use this serial number as a primary key to link tables in relationships. Use an auto-entered serial number for that purpose.

You can use a self join relationship that matches records by a year field to get such a sequence that restarts at 1 for each new year.

You can define a calculation field, cYear to return Year ( DateField ) as a number. Then set up this relationship:

YourTable::cYear = YourTable|SameYear::cYear

Then this script step can assign a sequence starting at 1 for each new year:

Set Field [Sequence ; Max ( YourTable|SameYear::Sequence ) + 1 ]

But this is simply another way of getting the same results as using ExecuteSQL so if it is working for you, I see no reason to change that approach.

• 2. Re: Custom Serial Generation fails
            philmodjunk

And I forgot the final step:

Set up this calculation to get your two digit year, hyphen, sequence with leading zeroes identifier:

Right ( cYear ; 2 ) & "-" & Right ( "000" & Sequence ; 3 )

• 3. Re: Custom Serial Generation fails
              MaartenLeemans

I got it figured out, genius me ;-) I think I replace the overal serial (for every Invoice), with this script as it does not 'skip' numbers if I delete a record

•           Facturen_sj = self joined from Facturen
              •      
              •           Creditnotanummer = my new made serial
              •      
              •           jaar = last two digits from this year

If [condition what fields need a serial]

If[ Left ( Max ( Facturen_sj::Creditnotanummer ) ; 2 )  = Facturen::jaar ] 

// So if there is already a record this year //

Field Set [ Facturen::Creditnotanummer; Max ( Facturen_sj::Creditnotanummer) + 1]

Else

Field Set [ Facturen::Creditnotanummer; Facturen::jaar & Right ("001" ; 3)]

End If

End If

• 4. Re: Custom Serial Generation fails
                JohnDee

@ Maarten

I don't know why I didn't use the max function before. Isn't it not find set, ie. context aware. If so it's not going to work.

• 5. Re: Custom Serial Generation fails
                  philmodjunk

Max is an aggregate function like min, average, sum, count...

When used with this syntax: Max ( RelatedTable::Field )

it returns the max value found in Field for the set of related records. The key is a relationship that only matches to the correct set of related records, in your case, the records from the same year.

• 6. Re: Custom Serial Generation fails
                    JohnDee

Oh, I see. Wonderful. Many thanks Phil and Martin, this is a very elegant way of going about it.

• 7. Re: Custom Serial Generation fails
                      philmodjunk

Caution: It is possible to get duplicate values if two different users add a new record at the same time. To guard against that set up

Right ( cYear ; 2 ) & "-" & Right ( "000" & Sequence ; 3 )

as an auto-entered calculation and select the Unique Values validation field option for it.