4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2010 8:34 AM by cmspe

Custom Sub-Menus ?

cmspe

Title

Custom Sub-Menus ?

I want to have a menu titled "Reports" and submenus of different kinds of reports with those reports in those submenus so that when I select the report, it opens ready to print.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Custom Sub-Menus ?
          philmodjunk

Do you want this menu on the layout or part of the menus you see across the top of the screen? (Where you see Format, Records, Scripts, etc.)

You can't setup a sub menu for value list formatted fields on the layout, though you can set up a conditional value list that has a similar function. 

• 2. Re: Custom Sub-Menus ?
            MikhailEdoshin

Hello,

You cannot create sub-menus in pop-up menus that are attached to the layout fields. You can have a plug-in that does this. If you have FM Advanced you can also redefine the applications menus; there you can add a menu of reports with all submenus you want.

To me it seems somewhat difficult to print a report with just a single command. Most reports have options to configure, quite a few sometimes. I usually display a pop-up window that lists reports and their options and allows to either print or preview:

Screenshot of a report selector

• 3. Re: Custom Sub-Menus ?
              philmodjunk

Without Filemaker Advanced, you can still create a folder named "Reports" in the scripts menu and place the individual "report" scripts inside it.

• 4. Re: Custom Sub-Menus ?
                cmspe

Thanks for your posts.  I actually figured out the whole custom menu and sub menu thing a little while after I submitted my post and it works just the way I wanted it to.  Thank you for responding so quickly.