11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2009 3:45 PM by davidhead

Customer "Form View" with "List View" of customer names

deliciousapple

Title

Customer "Form View" with "List View" of customer names

On my customer form view (which shows one record at a time) I would like to see a list of all customer names.  I guess like a portal?  Almost like a rolodex, but by customer name.

Ideas? 

• 1. Re: Customer "Form View" with "List View" of customer names
          davidhead

To do this, you can create a self relationship for the customer table.

Create a new table occurrence (TO) based on the customer table.

Create a relationship from the original customer TO that is ID to ID using the cartesian join (X).

Create a portal on your customer layout using the new relationship.

Sort the portal records as required. 

• 2. Re: Customer "Form View" with "List View" of customer names
            deliciousapple

David to my rescue AGAIN........ many thanks! 

Got it, and works perfect.

Now I would like to click on a customer name and go to that record. 

I tried "Go to Related Record", no go 

Gene

• 3. Re: Customer "Form View" with "List View" of customer names
              davidhead

You should be able to use GTRR to go to a different customer record using the same layout. Make sure you are going to the table occurrence that you added in the graph.

If that doesn't work let me know exactly what you have tried. 

• 4. Re: Customer "Form View" with "List View" of customer names
                johnhorner

gene, the go to related record method does not work because the relationship that you have defined relates the entire set of customers (as displayed in your portal) to not only your current customer record, but all customer records.  all customers are related to all customers via the relationship.  i don't know if this is the best way to do this, but i have a similar function set up in my database.  it works something like this: i created a button that is in the portal (actually i set up the customer name field in the portal itself to be the button) which runs the following script:

setvariable [$customer_temp ; customer_name]

enter find mode[]

setfield [customer_name ; $customer_temp ]

perform find []

hope that helps.  good luck!

john h.

• 5. Re: Customer "Form View" with "List View" of customer names
                  davidhead

Hi John

With respect, it WILL work regardless of the relationship type.

I have uploaded a sample file at:

http://www.ulearnit.com.au/samples/Students_SelfAllGTRR.zip

The student names in the portal are set as a button that does a simple GTRR. 

• 6. Re: Customer "Form View" with "List View" of customer names
                    johnhorner

thanks david, i didn't realize that.  i'm not sure why i thought it wouldn't work.  i think that is what someone had told me when i was having trouble setting up a similar function in my database.  now i can try to clean up my solution as well!

and to all, please accept my apologies for disseminating mis-information.  that is certainly the last thing anyone should be doing on the forum.

john h.

• 7. Re: Customer "Form View" with "List View" of customer names
                      deliciousapple

Ok David, got it!  thanks:)

Wow I can spend hours nonstop on this program, just messin around......scary 

When I did the "button setup", I checked the "go to related record from" - "Customers".  I should of chose "Customers 2" which was the TO.

So do you think there is any inherent danger to the data, having this setup in this way. 

David, what do you think about highlighting the active portal row, possible??

Anyway you got me going in the right direction again, with regards to Filemaker.

Thank you! 

• 8. Re: Customer "Form View" with "List View" of customer names
                        deliciousapple

Hi John,

thank you for your reply!

I am new to Filemaker, finished the one month trial and bought my first copy of Filemaker, oh.... almost one month ago now.

Without the help I have received from the great people on this site I would of gave up long ago.  

And to be honest I downloaded Filemaker "Trial Version" once before.  Man I just couldn't get my head around it, so I gave up.  

Then came Bento.  I have been using it since it came out, "BV1", but I hit the wall in regard to it's functionality, or lack there of.   Don't get me wrong I fell in love with the program, just did not meet all my needs.  So here I am, giving Filemaker one more shot. :)

Gene 

• 9. Re: Customer "Form View" with "List View" of customer names
                          johnhorner

hey gene,

although i have been using filemaker for a long time, i still have a lot to learn (as you may have noticed!).

i agree completely with you about the  ability to lose yourself for endless hours in the program.  i also share your opinion about the forum itself and what an outstanding resource it provides in the form of expert advice from those like david and many, many others.

i have a feeling that you are not only going to stick with filemaker this time, but that you are going to grow to love it!

all the best,

john h.

• 10. Re: Customer "Form View" with "List View" of customer names
                            davidhead

Wow - it's a love in!

Love FileMaker Pro, love each other, love life. ;)

John, the thing I love about this forum and another I moderate on is that people are very respectful of others. I could have said something nasty about your post but instead chose to gently correct you. ;) You didn't take it personally (which was intended that you did not) and did take it on board.  All in all a good result - we have all learnt something, which is why we are here!

I generally test everything before I post unless I am 110% sure of myself. So I usually have a demo file which I would love to post here but for various reasons, I can't :( So I post files to my web site.

As you may have guessed, FileMaker is my life. I am partnered with it in a geeky kinda way. ;) And I just want other people to love it as much as I do. So come on board!

Gene, I am so pleased to see you getting somewhere with FileMaker Pro this time around. You won't regret your decision and investment in time to persevere. 

• 11. Re: Customer "Form View" with "List View" of customer names
                              davidhead

DeliciousApple wrote:

So do you think there is any inherent danger to the data, having this setup in this way. 

David, what do you think about highlighting the active portal row, possible??

Danger? What danger?  :) No not really. It is a good navigation tool that makes sense to users. You could even extend the concept to make it a filtered portal so that users could enter data to filter the records in the portal to a more manageable group. Imagine typing letters into a global field and having the list gradually reduce as you type more specific "searches".
                              I would just make sure that the user has no field access to the portal fields in Browse or Find mode. Because neither makes sense in this context. Check the Field Behaviour for the fields.
                              What version of FileMaker Pro are you using? With version 10, there is a reasonably simple way to highlight the current portal row. I can post a demo if you like.
                              In terms of your situation, presumably, you would want to highlight the row corresponding to the current record? Let me know.