6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2014 1:00 PM by SteveMartino

Customer Database / service history

robertwhite

Title

Customer Database / service history

Hi

I am new to the forum and to filemaker pro, I am trying to create a customer database which will hold information about their vehicle and service history and purchase history. how  do I create this database. I have created the customer information and vehicle list but, I am struggling to create the purchase history and how to show a change in vehicle history and any change but default to the current one.

thanks in advance for your advice

• 1. Re: Customer Database / service history
          robertwhite

HI Can Filemaker Pro do this sort of job?

• 2. Re: Customer Database / service history
            SteveMartino

Sure, this is easily done with FileMaker.  The big question is can YOU do it.  Since you are new to FM, as I was a few years ago, I'll recommend a few things I did to get started.  Then come back on the forums as you construct your database and need help.  It's important that you have the basics down & learn as much as you can first.  On this forum, practically no on works for FM.  There is a range of very experienced developers to enthusiasts, who will be more then happy to help.  But keep in mind they all volunteer their time here--and are most likely to help, but may not be interested in completely building the DB for you.

What really helped me:

1.  Take advantage of the stuff you find here for free:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/training/

2.  I really liked the FileMaker Training Series (FMTS).  For FM 13, the basic series is free, and the advanced is well worth it.

3.  FileMaker Pro:  The Missing Manual (for your version) is a really good book with downloadable files to work along.  I worked thru this first, then the FMTS (for FM 12)

4.  The best training video I have seen is from John Mark Osborne here @ http://www.databasepros.com/training.php . I think its over 50 hours of training.  When you're done following along, you will have built a complete invoicing solution.

5.  Others on this site like Lydia.com

6.  You can also search for a developer on this site to pay to build a database for you.  Could be something as simple as the basics, or a complete solution.

7.  Also search this site for similar threads, many times people post sample databases that you could study and/or possible use.

8.  The same applies to look at the Starter Solutions.  Pick them apart to see how they do things and learn from the best.

All in all, and trust me I know, it's hard to resist to just start building the database.  It's important to really learn the basics to avoid going down the wrong path, wasting countless hours, only to have to scrap the database and start over.

I know this doesn't immediately help your situation, but I would look at the Invoices, Contacts, & Assets Starter Solutions, just to see how the relationships are set up, how the fields are laid out, and how the scripts are used.

• 3. Re: Customer Database / service history
              philmodjunk

All in all, and trust me I know, it's hard to resist to just start building the database.  It's important to really learn the basics to avoid going down the wrong path, wasting countless hours, only to have to scrap the database and start over.

But as long as you are willing to scrap the database and start over, diving in and building a database can be a useful way to gain a better understanding of how FileMaker works--especially if you are working through a training resource or two at the same time...

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking

• 4. Re: Customer Database / service history
                SteveMartino

@ Phil, yes that is correct, of course.  I did dive in on the training material, but went down a wrong path with my business DB, and had to start over-most likely after you pointed out a serious flaw or 2 :).  It didn't bother me as I had (and still have) fun learning all along the way.

• 5. Re: Customer Database / service history
                  philmodjunk

The key is to save and keep lots of back up copies as you go. That way, you have the option to revert back a few copies if you determine that you've gone down the wrong path for what you need to do.

There's a script I sometimes use found here that makes those needed copies during the development process for me so that I don't have to remember to do it manually.

Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development

• 6. Re: Customer Database / service history
                    SteveMartino

Thanks Phil, I do have that thread bookmarked and have been using it.  Looking forward to my vacation.  I downloaded your Adventures in FileMaking 1 & 2 and cant wait to delve in.  Thanks for all your hard work in helping and educating.

Steve