3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2014 9:53 AM by philmodjunk

Customer Login -- Security Question

Title

Customer Login -- Security Question

I am developing a FM database for a client who operates a moving and storage company. The file stores sensitive information including: name, phone number, email, and physical addresses. My client would like his customers to be able to log-in through web direct and access their record in order to obtain signatures, select options, etc.

Is there a way to do this that does not compromise the privacy and security of all the customers? We are currently hosting through filemakerhostingpros.com, but will obtain a copy of FM Server if that makes any difference.

• 1. Re: Customer Login -- Security Question
          philmodjunk

You can set up a system where "guests" (First time users), are required to specify an account name and password that they are to use for ongoing access to the database. There are script steps you can put into a script that can take the user specified account name and password and create a limited access account for them. The privilege set your script assigns to this account can limit the user to only records tagged with that account name--keeping them from accessing records for any other customer. This script can be set to "run with full access privileges" in order to create that new account.

For how to set up an account that limits the user to only certain records in a table or tables: See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a description of how to set this up.

• 2. Re: Customer Login -- Security Question

Thanks! From your response, it sounds like this is a pretty typical thing to do... would you say that's accurate?

Web security is a foreign language to me (I'm just starting to learn).

• 3. Re: Customer Login -- Security Question
              philmodjunk

For certain types of systems, it's very typical. Especially if you need to manage very large numbers of accounts and passwords for your database. You can literally end up with a database to manage access to the database by setting up a table of account names and associated privilege sets (if you need to grant different levels of access to different users) but you usually, as a security precaution would not store the passwords. Instead you'd build in a system that lets the person managing access set up an account to reset the password should the user fail to remember a password and request a new account.