AnsweredAssumed Answered

Customer Relationship confusion

Question asked by tkenmeoff2 on Apr 12, 2010
Latest reply on Apr 12, 2010 by philmodjunk

Title

Customer Relationship confusion

I've been working on setting up my database and can not figure out how to list the tables and make the connections when I have several different types of customers and a customer may have several different layers of customers.  Database Topic is tracking vehicles

Example would be my main customer may be a dealership who has no ownership in the vehicle but who is hiring me and who I will bill for the work.

Then if my customer is a dealership I now need to create a record for the owner of the vehicle who could be a company or an individual.

Now the owner who I've identified as a company is a leasing company and they lease it to another company or individual.

I have also identified the lessee as a company who now has an operator of the vehicle who is a individual.

As you can see, this particular example has 4 levels of a customer related to one vehicle.  I originally set it up with 4 customer tables, but I can see getting confused later trying to find a record for a company - which table to I search in.

I would appreciate any help I can get understanding how all these possible senarios work together and how to relate them.

K

Outcomes