11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2011 4:16 PM by philmodjunk

Customer, product, parts relationship

JamesAnderson1089

Title

Customer, product, parts relationship

My vision is to be able to open a form, type in the customers name. if they are in the database already it will populate all of the customer fields.  Then I will select the parts from the price spreadheet and it will calculate the cost based on the quantity I select.  then with a click of a button it will output a proposal combining the information in a pdf or spreadsheet format.  That should be my option. Also each section of the pricing spreadsheet should be broken down as well.  ie unified dialing, voice portal etc.  I dont know if they shuld all be in seaparate databases or what. Can anyone help me with that? Am confused what to do as am a new bee.

• 1. Re: Customer, product, parts relationship
          philmodjunk

For starters, take a look at this invoicing demo file created by Comment and uploaded to a different fileMaker forum: 

http://fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/309136/

This shows the basic set up for a typical invoicing system. Your proposal would appear to have the same set up as an invoice. The invoices starter solution uses the same relationships, but is much more sophisticated so the above demo makes an easier starting point due to its simplicity.

Something you will want to think about:

"open a form, type in the customers name. if they are in the database already it will populate all of the customer fields."

What if you get two customers with the same first and last names? What should your database system do then?

• 2. Re: Customer, product, parts relationship
            JamesAnderson1089

Thanks it helped. i made one with the default invoice. but the thing is i cant add my companies name and adress there... and another thing i have added 8 products but whenever am going to preview of the product list and the grand total is showing 0 .... is that for not giving  any quantity????

• 3. Re: Customer, product, parts relationship
              philmodjunk

Note: Inventory management is not this starter solution's strong suit. It's very easy for operator error to produce an incorrect inventory count.

The starter solution tracks current inventory with a number field in the products table so if you don't enter a number here, you won't have an inventory, so this may be what you are seeing. (Not sure what "product list" you are previewing. The inventory report or the product catalog?)

To add your company's name and address, you can enter layout mode and use the text tool to add your company's name, address and logo to any layout where you want to see and/or print this information.

• 4. Re: Customer, product, parts relationship
                JamesAnderson1089

I am talking about the inventory report....is this happening for not giving any quantity????

and in the invoice layout am trying to add the companys name and address nd phone number. but when am editing layout and adding fields named on company... its not showing into main print preview of the invoice.... 

• 5. Re: Customer, product, parts relationship
                  philmodjunk

The Grand totals add up the item price and cost fields for all items in your inventory. If you do not enter a quantity in stock, the system cannot compute the value of your inventory.

When I use the invoices layout, I find that I have to first create a customer record before I can create an invoice for them. (This does not have to be the case, but is how this starter solution was designed.) If I then select a customer by name in the pop-up menu, I see the company and other customer fields in the invoice. I can enter these fields and modify them--which edits the data directly in the customer record.

How does this differ from what you are trying to do?

• 6. Re: Customer, product, parts relationship
                    JamesAnderson1089
                    I am trying to add my company's name Phone fax number on the top the invoice example:  when i buy a beer or somethin  the shop gives me a reciept in that its written                  Dental Metal          327 east redland Phone : 6302462953 invoice no:2 billing to: Address : I want my form to be like this... i am geting every thing but i cant enter dental metal in the top or the address or the phone number....
                    • 7. Re: Customer, product, parts relationship
                      philmodjunk

Option1:

1. Enter layout mode.
                      2. Click the Layout text tool (Button with capital T at top of screen.)
                      3. Click on your layout where you want to see this address.
                      4. Type it in.
                      5. Repeat for each layout.

Option2:

1. Open Manage | Database | Fields
                      2. Select the Invoice table.
                      3. Define new text fields for company name and address
                      4. Specify Global Storage in Field Options for these new fields.
                      5. Place these fields on your layout.
                      6. Enter Browse Mode and type your company name and address into these new fields.
                      7. Now you can place these fields on any layout in the file to display company name and address.
                      • 8. Re: Customer, product, parts relationship
                        JamesAnderson1089

I need the company name constantly on the top of invoice so that i dont have change it every time and when i will print a invoice then the company name , address aill always be there..

invoice id, product, customer everything will be changing but the company address phone number will be same evrytime nd it will be on the top of the invoice page.... i can send u a copy of that or u can give me ur number so tht i can call u.....

• 9. Re: Customer, product, parts relationship
                          philmodjunk

Both Option 1 and option 2 meet these specifications. When you put the text directly on the layout, it will be there for every record in your database. If you put the data in fields with global storage, the data will be there for every record in your database.

Either way, you type this info in once and you have it for all your records and don't need to enter it again.

• 10. Re: Customer, product, parts relationship
                            JamesAnderson1089

am using thr trial version..is there any limitation for trial  version?

• 11. Re: Customer, product, parts relationship
                              philmodjunk

No limitations other than the time limit.