3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2014 10:17 AM by philmodjunk

customising the event management database - help!

TomBaker

Title

customising the event management database - help!

Hi there,

I'm totally new to filemaker and struggling to get my head around all the relationships / fields connections etc.

I work in events and want to create an easy way of putting together info sheets on each upcoming event. We use maybe 20-30 different venues for all our events, so I wanted to create a contacts database with each venue and it's address/manager contact/telephone number/email and other info such as parking, which would then automatically be filled in on the event bit by just typing in the name of the venue.

Also is there a way to edit what appears on the event report that you can print, and how it is arranged? I'm looking to get the event details, venue info, contributors contact details and agenda all on one document.

Sorry if this is all really easy stuff, just can't seem to understand the relationships well enough to apply them to my problem!

Thanks

• 1. Re: customising the event management database - help!
          philmodjunk

Also is there a way to edit what appears on the event report that you can print, and how it is arranged?

Yes. You can enter layout mode and modify the design of the layout. You can enter Manage | Database  and change the underlying design of the database such as by adding new fields not part of the original starter solution.

Since the original starter solution matches up guests and contributers with events. Venues would need to be treated as an additional data source table in the system and that would require a fairly extensive design modification of the basic starter solution. You may need to invest some more time in learning about FileMaker before you tackle such a project.

• 2. Re: customising the event management database - help!
            TomBaker

Thanks for the swift reply! Do you think it's better for me to start from scratch rather than trying to modify the existing template? 

• 3. Re: customising the event management database - help!
              philmodjunk

I'm not sure, but it does appear that you need to acquire a more complete knowledge of how to do this. There are a number of training materials available.

The one advantage to starting from scratch is that you can build in a few features at a time, get a full understanding of how that portion works, and then move on to the next task. The downside is that starting from a blank page means that you will have to create or import every feature of every table, layout and script that you choose to use in your your database so that can take a bit of time and effort before you get something functional.