8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2012 9:46 AM by philmodjunk

Customizable button bar?

jfalberg

Title

Customizable button bar?

Is there a way to make the button bar in the status toolbar as customizable so we could add/modify as our own? 

Also, in the status toolbar is it possible to display records found based on the tab and associated records with it?

• 1. Re: Customizable button bar?
          philmodjunk

I usually hide the status area and put my own row of navigation buttons and controls across the top edge of the layout. This takes up much less room than the status area--particulary on windows systems where you can't opt for smaller tool bar buttons.

You cannot alter the function of the book control, the slider, the "Pie chart", or the numbers it displays. But keep in mind my first answer to your question, you can create your own.

• 2. Re: Customizable button bar?
            jfalberg

I'm getting back to this that I once posted here.  While it looks like I can add/remove buttons that I need or don't need, I couldn't seem to be able to remove the control/slider/piechart section.  Should I also be able to add buttons for if I need to link to an external program or link and/or scroll within my available data view, or would I need possibly a 3rd party software to accomplish that?

• 3. Re: Customizable button bar?
              philmodjunk

If you are following my suggestion to hide the tool bar (status area) and put your own row of buttons on the layout, yes, this can be done--but the details will depend on what you mean by "link to an external program". There are ways to launch another application via FileMaker script so if you just intend to launch that application, it's easy to do.

Since you have a scroll bar on your window that you can use to scroll through your records, I'm not sure what you mean by "Scroll within my available data view". If you mean that you want to flip forward and back through the records while in Form View (You can use the window scroll bar when in table or list view), then yes, there are simple button options and scripts that can be used to move to the next, previous, first and last records in your found set--much like you can with the "book" control in the tool bar.

• 4. Re: Customizable button bar?
                philmodjunk

Here's an example screen shot from my Known Bugs List database:

• 5. Re: Customizable button bar?
                  jfalberg

So I'll be inserting in my layout a top row with a height about 64 pixels which is enough for my 32x32 images along with a text description below.  I intend to want to make it appear like windows standard buttons where they are faded when disabled, or dynamically appear/disappear depending on my data displayed if possible.  I see I can at least use a tooltip and treat the images as buttons.  Is there any way when I press the button that I can remove the inverse image effect (white turns black briefly)? 

• 6. Re: Customizable button bar?
                    philmodjunk

If you have FileMaker 12, you can change the appearance settings for what takes place when the button is clicked. If you have an earlier version, you cannot. You cannot, however dynamically change this appearance to complete the "disabled" behavior that you want.

In the above example, if the current record had been the first record in the found set, You would have seen that the << and < buttons display a faded grey color and if it where on  the last record in the found set, you'd see this effect for the >> and > buttons. This was done with conditional formatting.

If you have a graphic image that you want to change to make it look disabled, you can insert the graphic into a container field with global storage specified. You can insert one copy into one such field and a copy edited in an image editing program to produce the "disabled" look into another. Then you can define a calculation field that returns "container" as it's return type that selects one field or the other to dynamically change the appearance of the image in the container field. This calculation field can then be set up as your button or grouped with a button placed underneath it.

• 7. Re: Customizable button bar?
                      jfalberg

Ideally I would like to use images or icons similar to the ones in the Status Toolbar so I was wondering if within any filemaker folders I could possibly get the ones I will need such as an ability to print at least.

• 8. Re: Customizable button bar?
                        philmodjunk

Don't know, but you can screen capture them and use an image editing program to cut them from the screen capture...