3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2012 10:15 AM by philmodjunk

Customizing a Starter Solution: Help!

MatthewScott

Title

Customizing a Starter Solution: Help!

I have little FmPro experience and am wondering if someone can tell me how to do the following.

I have added two new name related fields to the Contacts Starter Solution for FMPro 12 for Mac. They are "MIDDLE" for Middle Name (or initials) and "SUFFIX".

I am trying to make my contacts appear in the Record Heading, the Contact List and the Contact Labels as follows:  "Title" "First" "Middle" "Last" "Suffix" 

I believe I need to update two existing Calculation fields: the "Contact Name" & the "Contact Name Labels".

CONTACT NAME
           The original "Contact Name" Calculation field only included First and Last name fields, as follows:

Case
           IsEmpty ( First ) ; Last ;  
           IsEmpty ( Last ) ; First ;  
           Last & ", " & First 
             )

Question: How exactly would it need to be rewritten so as to add the existing "Title" field in front of the "First" name AND then also add my new MIDDLE and SUFFIX fields in the appropriate order?

CONTACT NAME LABELS
           The original "Contact Name Labels" appears as follows:

Case
           IsEmpty ( First & Last ) ; Company ;  
           First & " " & Last 
             )

Question:  How should the original "Contact Name Labels" Calculation field also be updated?

Finally, am I correct in assuming that after altering the "Contact Name" and "Contact Name Label" Calculation fields as per you experts' kindly advice, that that is all I will need to do in order to get the Starter Solution's "Contact List" and "Labels" layouts to read/print correctly?!

TIA!

• 1. Re: Customizing a Starter Solution: Help!
          philmodjunk

That depends on how you want this to work. Here's one option, but it's not the only possibility:

Case ( 
               Substitute ( List ( Title ; Last & ", " & First ; Middle ; Suffix) ; ¶ ; " " )
                 )

Case ( 
                    Substitute ( List ( Title ; First ; Middle ; Last ; Suffix ) ; ¶ ; " " )
                      )

The list function automatically omits list elements that are empty, but separates each element with a return character. The substitute function then replaces the returns with spaces.

• 2. Re: Customizing a Starter Solution: Help!
            MatthewScott

Thank you, you are helping me make progress. I modified your order but it works fine.

Except for one small additional question re the CONTACT NAME LABELS layout (the second item you updated for me).

The Contact Name Labels look fine when I have a middle name (or initial) but when I don't there is one space too many before the First and the Last names.

And I'm durned if I can figure out how to fix it.

Here is what I have changed the Calculation field to (which as I say almost works, except for this two spaces between a first and last name when there is no middle name info.)

Case
                 Title & " " & First & " " & MIDDLE & " " & Last & SUFFIX
                   )

[Note:  My SUFFIX info appears correct because I have "cheated" by typing a ", " i.e. a comma plus a space, at the head of each suffix in my popup list. That was my baby solution.]

Again, thank you so much for your help.

• 3. Re: Customizing a Starter Solution: Help!
              philmodjunk

That extra space is why I used the substitute and list functions instead of the calculation that you are using.