4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2009 1:32 PM by llpeters

cut/paste field text into body of email

llpeters

Title

cut/paste field text into body of email

Does anyone know if there is a way to cut and paste all fields of a record into the body of an email? Basically the layout is a form that I initially partially fill in. I need to email it to my client for them to fill in the remaining info to send back to me. I dont want to use any attachments because too many clients are not computer savvy and they dont know how to open them. Best is if they can just see everything as plain text in the body of an email and email a reply. 

• 1. Re: cut/paste field text into body of email
          TSGal

llpeters:

Thank you for your post.

Use the Send Mail script step to export the fields and data for each record.  For example, for the Message, you can specify a calculation.  For simplicity, assume you have three fields: Last Name, First Name, and Phone.  You could specify a calculation as follows:

"First Name: " & First Name & "¶" &

"Last Name: " & Last Name & "¶" &

"Phone: " & Phone

Does this make sense?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: cut/paste field text into body of email
            llpeters

I made several attempts but it seems that the Table/Field reference has to come first in order for the program to recognize the path. So I am not able to format as:

First Name:  (data)

Last Name: (data)

I would have to reverse it which I think would just look confusing. Wondering if you have any other ideas of know a way to get around this glitch?  Thanks! 

• 3. Re: cut/paste field text into body of email
              TSGal

llpeters:

Let's try this again...

Assuming your table is named TABLE with the three fields, the calculation would be:

"First Name: " & TABLE::First Name & "¶" &

"Last Name: " & TABLE::Last Name & "¶" &

"Phone: " & TABLE::Phone

In essence, we take the string "First Name: " and then display the First Name field from TABLE.  Add a return to go to the next line where the string "Last Name: " is displayed followed by the Last Name field from TABLE.  Add another return, and then on the next line display the string "Phone: " followed by the Phone field from TABLE.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: cut/paste field text into body of email
                llpeters
                   I got it! Thank you so much for you help.  I cant tell you how much time you just saved me :)