3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2015 2:45 PM by philmodjunk

CVL Values Won't Duplicate with Record

RachelMills

Title

CVL Values Won't Duplicate with Record

My very first forum post, so I'm hopeful someone can point me in the right direction. We have a rather simple database that contains a few tables, used as a healthcare EHR. 

Right now, we have a script to duplicate a record (a doctor's note), and then remove specific fields that are a bad idea to duplicate- date of service, patient complaint, etc.This allows us to create a new note from the last one, and have information specific to the patient carry-over (avoiding duplicate entry). Medications, diagnosis and basic demographics all carry over into the duplicated note. It works beautifully- EXCEPT.... For our diagnosis section, the conditional value list actual values selected in the original note don't duplicate through to the new note.

They are a category (which does carry over) and a sub-category (which does not). Sub-category is conditionally set up to only show those related to the category.  

An example: 

In my visit with you today, I decide you have Generalized Anxiety Disorder (more than likely due to your new work software).

I first select the category from a drop down list (pulling from a table): Anxiety Disorder. When I do, the next field (where I choose the actual diagnosis) then filters to show me a drop down of only disorders that deal with Anxiety. I sub-select from that drop down "Generalized Anxiety Disorder". 

You come back tomorrow and I see you again. I duplicate today's note, and Anxiety Disorder (main category) duplicates perfectly- but- nothing appears in the Sub-Category (i.e., I am missing the actual diagnosis). 

I have Googled this to the ends of the earth and can't find anyone who's even having this issue, let alone the solution, which leads me to believe.... there's something wrong with me! 

I did try "Copy Record" instead of duplicate record in the script- and something even scarier happened. It did duplicate both the category and sub-category- BUT- when I attempted to change the sub-category in any way- it removed the value from the original record! 

Doomed? 

• 1. Re: CVL Values Won't Duplicate with Record
          philmodjunk

There are multiple ways in which to use to set up a conditional value list. What method did you use? Most likely, this is a relationship based "basic conditional value list", but let's be sure. And if so, what are the relationships used to make the CVL work?

This allows us to create a new note from the last one, and have information specific to the patient carry-over

This is unnecessary duplication of this data. Instead of copying it from record to record, it should be kept in a single parent record to which each of these child records are linked via a patient ID. In other words, you set up a patients table with one record for each patient in which you record your "demographics" a single time for each patient linked to a table of "visits" or "sessions" where you have one record for each time that patient visits.

• 2. Re: CVL Values Won't Duplicate with Record
            RachelMills

Thanks for the quick reply, Phil- and sorry for my delay. 

Correct, I'm certain I'm using a "basic conditional value list", as I most likely could not have done more on my own. :) I've uploaded a snapshot of what my second value list looks like. The patient and the diagnosis are tied together via a Client_ID relationship between the two databases. 

I'm not 100% certain I understand the second part about unnecessary duplicating. Do you mean setting it up as a portal instead? I do have a portal for medications that is in the record- but have the same issue. Items in the portal (in the visit note) don't carry over when duplicated. I'm assuming this is because my script doesn't go back and copy the portal data and paste into the new record- which I did try, but got a tad lost. 

Thanks in advance!

• 3. Re: CVL Values Won't Duplicate with Record
              philmodjunk

What I am saying is that items should not need to be carried over if they will be the same for every record. This would indicate that you have data being stored in the wrong table.

To see why it doesn't work, I would need to understand what you have set as the relationship between DSM subcategory_CVL and Visit.