2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2010 11:50 AM by SASiman11

Daily Payment Log

SASiman11

Title

Daily Payment Log

Hi everyone.  I'm really new to Filemaker, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

I work at a dance studio and our studio owner refuses to cross over into the 21st century and use a computer to organize students and financials.  I've been a student at the studio for 24 years and a teacher for 10.  She's entrusted me to make our studio website, so I figure if I can give her a basic format to use at the studio I may be able to talk her into using a database to keep track of students and money.

I've already made a layout with 3 tabs - Student Information, Emergency Contact Information, and the third is their monthly tuition and costume payments. Now, clearly this last tab will keep track of what they've paid in their file.  Here's where I'm stuck. I want there to be a log at the end of the night that keeps track of ALL payments taken and entered into the database that day.  We keep track of money per night and usually have to hand it in to her scratched onto a piece of paper with a break down of "total money collected for costumes" , "total money collected for tuition", etc. then "total of all money collected this night".  Hence, why I'd like to have a log automatically generated at the end of the night that we can just print out.  Furthermore, I'd like it to also keep a monthly count and yearly.  

This may be so simple that I'm missing it, or it may not even be possible with this software.  Like I said, I'm new to Filemaker.  Please let me know if you can help! Thank you :)

PS - I have version 10.0v1 (12-02-2008) and I'm working on a Mac running Snow Leopard. 

• 1. Re: Daily Payment Log
          philmodjunk

First, I'd go to Filemaker's download site and get the free update to Filemaker 10.03--it fixes a few bugs.

Do you know how to set up different tables in filemaker and link them in relationships?

Do you know how to set up a portal? (You can look this topic up in Filemaker's help system to learn more.)

You can place a payments portal on that last tab to log each student's payments.

You can then create a report based on the portal's table to get the "end of the day" report you describe.

• 2. Re: Daily Payment Log
            SASiman11

Thanks for the heads-up on the update.

I just got filemaker two days ago, so I'm still learning the basics.  I have figured out how to calculate an age automatically with a birthdate and how to set up basic forms with basic tables.  That's about it so far.  I'll have to really look into linking relationships and portals.  Thank you for your help!  At least I know it's possible now :)