4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 7:40 AM by RaeCrothers

Daily total for a field

RaeCrothers

Title

Daily total for a field

One last problem with my timesheet table. I would like to add that I have done research with Google, the FMP manual, and searching the forum for all my queries, but I haven't had any luck finding anything that relates to my exact question. I really appreciate the help I got with my previous two questions as they provided the answers I needed.

I think this is an easy one. I am including a screen grab.

Each of the three sections has an 'earned' field with five repetitions along for up to five entries per day in each section. I want the total of all the entries in that field for that day only. So if I had done five transcription jobs worth $20 each on December 1st, I'd want the field to the right of the transcription section to report $100. On December 2nd, I would want that field to revert back to 0. Again, the summary field is of no help since it carries over from day to day.

I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be a function like cMonth that I used for my question about the monthly total. If that's the case, I bet there's a similar function for a yearly total?

Thanks again!

Rae

fmp2.jpg

• 1. Re: Daily total for a field
          philmodjunk

Your insistence on repeating fields handicaps and complicates your design. When you record that hypothetical work for Dec 2, won't this be a new record? If so Sum (repeatingField ) will return the sum of the repetitions of the current record.

• 2. Re: Daily total for a field
            RaeCrothers

As I wrote in another post, I'm learning FMP while working with an existing database solution, FM Starting Point. I need to be able to make multiple entries in a day. In FM Starting Point's Timesheet table, the layout was set up for weekly entries with repeating fields for each day of the week. So I modeled my design after them, not realising that there might be a better way to do this. I'll look at portals again if you think that's the way to go, but so far, what I've done does what I need it to do.

Yes, the hypothetical work for December 2nd would be a new record. Each record is one day. So it seems like the Sum(repeatingField) calculation is what I'm looking for. Thank you again!

Rae

• 3. Re: Daily total for a field
              philmodjunk

Replacing a repeating field with a portal will still allow you to record multiple entries on your screen, but now you are no longer limited to a maximum number of entries as specified by your repeating field's defined number of repetitions. If you need to record 7, 8 or 20+ entries, you don't have to redesign your layout and fields to enable that, you just keep adding more records in your portal. That's only the most obvious difference.

Such a related table with one entry per record also makes possible for much more flexible reporting options when you go to work with this data. I frequently see requests here in the forum where users get the data entry part of their project working like they want using repeating fields only to find that getting a report that they need is difficult to impossible to produce from their repeating fields.

• 4. Re: Daily total for a field
                RaeCrothers

Thank you for this information. I rarely need more than one entry per day per type of work so five is more than enough for my needs and I'm already able to produce the reports I need. So I think the repeating fields will work for me but I appreciate knowing that this is not the best way of going about things. I will look at portals in greater depth for a future project.

This community is very lucky to have you on board. I really appreciate all your help!

Rae