4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2013 1:46 PM by philmodjunk

Damaged file

mb123

Title

Damaged file

I tried to open one of the files and it's telling me the file is damaged and to use the recover function. I did that and it seemed to work, or at least let me open the file. The file is an contact form and one of the tabs in it allows me to sign the people up for certain events. When I try to sign up a person in the reovered file it keeps wanting to open the old file and then again telling me it's damaged. Also, this contact file links to other files in our database. When I try to use the other files and it tries to pull information from the contact file, it does the same thing, tries to open the old file and tells me it's damaged.

I am not a database person. I know how to input things but that is about it. Filemaker was bought before I satrted working here and now no one here knows how to use/fix it. Any help would be appreciated it.

• 1. Re: Damaged file
          philmodjunk

When I try to sign up a person in the reovered file it keeps wanting to open the old file and then again telling me it's damaged.

Try changing the name of the damaged copy and then rename your original file back to the original file name. Also check to see if your solution consists of more than one file. It may be that there's a second file linked to the first and it may be damaged.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 2. Re: Damaged file
            mb123

Thanks that worked!! Huge sigh of relief.

• 3. Re: Damaged file
              davidanders

Backing up your databases is a critical step in avoiding disaster.

If you do not backup, I would start soon.  It is done differently if you are using FMP Server or FMP Client Hosting.

https://www.google.com/search?q=backup+philmodjunk+site%3Aforums.filemaker.com

• 4. Re: Damaged file
                philmodjunk

The error message sounds like your file has an external data source reference to itself. While this works, it locks you in to a specific filename and any change to the file name will result in this error. There is no need for such a reference. If you can find the references to this external data source and redirect them to point to the specified table or script in your current file, you can remove this external data source reference from your file.