2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 3:05 PM by cluelass

Dashboard of Portals - 101 Required

mnelsons

Title

Dashboard of Portals - 101 Required

I have a very simple dashboard request that I can't seem to resolve.   Tables involved are (Clients) (Quotes) (Quote Details).  I have a field called Status in my (quotes) table.  I would like a screen to have 3 portal views which would place the quote in the proper "Portal View" depending on the field "Status".  

My trouble is that it's always linking to Client #1 and limiting the rest of the data from showing.   I know it's a relationship that i've not created but I can't seem to find the first steps to understanding how to pull this off.  I see complicated solutions posted but can't wrap my head around it yet so looking for the easiest way to grasp the relation required.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Dashboard of Portals - 101 Required
          philmodjunk

If your Dashboard layout is based on the Client layout, seeing related data from a context of Client #1 would seem very likely--until you change records on the dashboard to that of another client.

I suggest describing the set up of your Dashboard layout in more detail and then documenting the current relationships that you have in place.

My guess is that you have:

Clients----<Quotes---<QuoteDetails     (----< means "one to many" )

• 2. Re: Dashboard of Portals - 101 Required
            cluelass

There is a Dashboard layout in the FMP "Invoices" Starter Solution (look on the File menu), but frankly it makes my head spin. Here is how I did it:

1. Create a special utility table. Call it “Global” or “Developer” or “Dashboard”. It has to have at least one field and one record.
            3. On your relationships diagram, make a new Table Occurrence for each of your tables, like ClientsGlobal, QuotesGlobal, etc.
            5. On your relationships diagram, hook up each of these to your Global table using an “x” relationship. It doesn’t matter what fields you link together because the “x” matches all records. Double-click on the box between the joined tables to get an Edit Relationship dialog.
            7. Your Dashboard layout will be based on your Global table. Add portals for the new TableOccurrences you linked to Global. (Remember the fields also have to come from the new TOs.)
            9. For each portal setup, check the "Filter portal records" box and specify the status you want, like ClientsGlobal::Status = “open”.