5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2010 8:26 AM by fitch

Data Arrays??

FMNewbie

Title

Data Arrays??

I am using FileMaker Pro 11 to create an electronic patient chart and I need to be able to enter multiple values in a single field.  For example if the person filling in the patient chart took 7 sets of vital signs, I'd like to be able to record them sequentially in each vital sign field.. ie one feild for "Blood Pressure" vs multiple fields for "BloodPressure1, BloodPressure2, etc etc."   I hope that makes sense.

I'm no software guru but I think this is called a data array.  Anyone know how I do this in FM? 

Thanks. 

• 1. Re: Data Arrays??
          fitch

It sounds like you'd want a related table for vital signs. One field would be the patient ID, which you'd use to link the vital signs records to the patient. Another field would be the type of entry, e.g. blood pressure. You'd want a timestamp, etc.

Make sense? One record in the related table for each chart entry.

• 2. Re: Data Arrays??
            FMNewbie

That's exactly it!  Thanks!!  How do I set up a relational database though?

• 3. Re: Data Arrays??
              FMNewbie

Okay... I've figured out the relational database thing for my vital signs, but how do I set that up so the user can keep entering as many sets of vitals as they want (in layout mode)?  Is there a way to set a button to keep adding a new set of vital signs within a single record??

• 4. Re: Data Arrays??
                philmodjunk

Use a Portal for this. With the correct options selected, you'll be able to log each new measurement simply by finding the patient's record and logging entering the data in the next blank line of the Portal.

Look up Portal in Filemaker's Help system and you'll find a pretty decent description of how to set this up.

• 5. Re: Data Arrays??
                  fitch

You should create, on your patient layout, a portal showing related vital signs.

In the relationship graph, in the options for the relationship (double-click the equal sign), on the Vital Signs side, select the checkbox for "Allow creation of records." That will enable you to add vital signs by clicking in the next empty row of the portal.

By the way, this is not about data arrays. :)