2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 6:19 PM by oman

Data Autofill with Linked Tables

oman

Title

Data Autofill with Linked Tables

Hi everyone,

I have two tables that are linked together. When I create a new record in one table, I want to be able to assign an object name to that ticket, using data (list of names) from a field in the other table, and have it auto populate other fields based on that assignment.

I have two tables: Objects & Maintenance

Objects Table Fields:

Object ID (primary key)

Object Name

Object Type

Maintenance Table Fields:

Object ID

Ticket ID (primary key)

Maintenance Need

The two are linked through the Object ID field.

I have a maintenance layout that displays:

Object ID (from the maintenance table that is linked to the Objects table)

Ticket ID (from the maintenance table)

Maintenance Need (from the maintenance table)

Object Name (from the Objects table)

Object Type (from the Objects table)

When a new record is created in the maintenance layout, it automatically generates a new Ticket ID number. The user then needs to specify which object Name from the Objects Table should be associated with this Ticket ID.

I’d like the user to be able to select the Object Name from a drop down list in that field, and then have the Object ID, and Object Type fill in automatically on the Maintenance layout.

Currently I am unable to select anything in the Object Name field in this view. I can select the Object ID field, fill in a number and the fields fill in. I created a work around that allows me to select an Object ID using a drop down menu but display related Object Names instead of the ID number, but this is not ideal as users intuitively want to select it within the Object Name field.

Any help with this would be amazing. It’s one of the last bugs I need to figure out before things will be working smoothly.

Thanks!

Owen

• 1. Re: Data Autofill with Linked Tables
          philmodjunk

For a simple set up, you have the right idea. You only need fine tune your layout design slightly:

Set up the Object ID field as a Pop up menu and set the value list to only show object names. Remove the object name field from your layout. Your Object ID field will now automatically display the Object Name even though it stores an ID number.

If you want a drop down list, Take the Object Name field and use the Inspector's behavior settings to deny browse mode access. Give it an opaque fill color and put it on top of the ObjectID field--which is formatted as a drop down list with the value list you have already described. When the user clicks on the object name field, the drop down list in the ObjectID field hidden behind it will pop to the front and deploy for selecting an object. When you select an object in this drop down, the list disappears back behind the name field which now displays the name of the selected object.

• 2. Re: Data Autofill with Linked Tables
            oman

That will work for me. Thanks!