5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2010 4:08 AM by fluffyone

Data collection on mobile devices - update main database question

fluffyone

Title

Data collection on mobile devices - update main database question

Hi Group

At the moment we run jobs through our works making notes with pen and paper and then retype them up unto the database at the end of the job, this is very time consuming and a pain.

It is not practical to have loads of PC's everywhere with a copy of Filmaker on, and At the moment I need to keep costs to the absolute minimum.

Is it possible to use low cost PDA's or I-phones to log data using a spreadsheet or similar and then import this into the main database at the end of the job?

or can I have my database on the web, and then access it through a web connection on a I-phone or similar?

Can anyone offer any advice or help on the best, simplest and cheapest way to do this. And what are there pros and cons in doing this.

Thanks Fluffy

using filmaker pro 10 advanced

• 1. Re: Data collection on mobile devices - update main database question
          mrvodka

It may be worth taking a look into purchasing FileMaker Server. It comes with a iPhone template for Custom Web Publishing.

You could export the data from your devices nightly but I would find that tedious especially if there are a bunch of them.

• 2. Re: Data collection on mobile devices - update main database question
            philmodjunk
               I've also seen mention of a product called FMTouch that may be worth a look.
            • 3. Re: Data collection on mobile devices - update main database question
              fluffyone

Thanks for your replies, I need to keep costs down in this recession, the server will most Likely be the best way to go as I could then just use web based access on all sorts of devices, but this is quite a lot of money and still need the hand sets as well.

at the moment there is only 2 users but I am looking at a flexible approach to data logging, I have 4 PC's that could access via desk share or over the network but I was hoping to use something hand held that can be eaily carried with the job in progress.

I have just come across FM touch which looks good, But I don't know if the I-phones will last long in a hard working workshop.

I need to think carefully about this. Any input will be appreciated

Regards

Fluffy

• 4. Re: Data collection on mobile devices - update main database question
                fluffyone

Hi Group

I want to play with data collection in the workshop and then upload to FM pro10, once I have established the practicalities of this I will invest in the right software and equipment.

So I have been thinking of simple ways to do this and I think I have 2 options, either a simple text file or a spreadsheet file. Both of these will be easy to use for trials on a variety of portable devices and I have the hardware to do this already for trials.

Is there a good way to then bring this data in to the required record? I am going to play with importing the data first into a form. Is it possible to inport

one records worth of data?

each set of data will have a unique number and several lines of text / numbers, the intention will be to have a form set up with the same field names and import straight into the form from the file.

Once I have proved this to work well and easy in the workplace I will then look at the right software and hardware to do this properly and easily.

Any input will be appreciated. 

Regards

Fluffy

• 5. Re: Data collection on mobile devices - update main database question
                  fluffyone

Hi group

the data import from a spread sheet works well so I will play with this first.

Regards

Fluffy