10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2009 1:07 PM by philmodjunk

data entered yesterday was gone today

Papershuffler

Title

data entered yesterday was gone today

I entered some updated data to filemaker yesterday, then printed a report of the parts i need to order.

today i noticed that none of the entries i had made yesterday were there, so the report generated today of parts needed to order is outdated.

where did the data i enter go to?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: data entered yesterday was gone today
          philmodjunk

Papershuffler wrote:

I entered some updated data to filemaker yesterday, then printed a report of the parts i need to order.

today i noticed that none of the entries i had made yesterday were there, so the report generated today of parts needed to order is outdated.

where did the data i enter go to?

Thank you.

I can't tell for sure without knowing a lot more about your database.

Best guess:

If you are a guest of a file hosted over the network, any data that you enter into a global field will be lost when you exit filemaker.

• 2. Re: data entered yesterday was gone today
            Papershuffler

What does this mean? guest of a host on a network. We do have filemaker on a network drive, but the filemaker i use on a specific computer has saved all my other data up til now, though i have noticed a few things missing lately. I'm very new at this and appreciate all help.

• 3. Re: data entered yesterday was gone today
              philmodjunk

Papershuffler wrote:

What does this mean? guest of a host on a network. We do have filemaker on a network drive, but the filemaker i use on a specific computer has saved all my other data up til now, though i have noticed a few things missing lately. I'm very new at this and appreciate all help.

"What does this mean? guest of a host on a network" If the files are opened on one computer and you launch Filemaker on another computer, using "Open Remote..." or the Remote button to locate and open these files. If so, then global fields behave as I described in my first response. That's simply the most common case I've seen when someone reports that data they entered disappeared. There are many other possible explanations.

What Version of Filemaker?

What OS?

Describe exactly what you did to enter the data. Describe exactly what you were doing when you discovered the data was missing.

That info will help us to help you.

• 4. Re: data entered yesterday was gone today
                Papershuffler

I have filemaker 09, using windows xp,

yesterday after i received new parts in the office, i entered new quantities for each part, then i printed a report that said what parts were still low. as i entered each quantity to "add inventory" a new white space was created that had 3/26/09. then i added the quantity and went to the next part.

Today all the new line items that had 3/26/09 were gone, making the report for parts needed to buy not valid, because the program doesn't know that i have new parts.

Thanks alot.

• 5. Re: data entered yesterday was gone today
                  philmodjunk

That's a start.

Sorry, but now more questions:

Describe your layout design.

Are you using a portal? In what type of fields are you entering data? I know you're entering a date, but if you check that field's definition is it of type "date" or is it another type? Is the field in question a global field?

Are the fields on your layout from more than one table? (This may be true even if you aren't using a portal.)

Did you run any scripts between the time you entered the data and the time that you noticed them missing? (Check for scripts that may be set to run automatically when you open or close a file.)

• 6. Re: data entered yesterday was gone today
                    Papershuffler
                       okay thanks, i see if i can figure out these things, i may have to wait til monday to work on this.
                    • 7. Re: data entered yesterday was gone today
                      Papershuffler
                         real quick- how do i check for scripts to run automatically (not sure what a script is)
                      • 8. Re: data entered yesterday was gone today
                        philmodjunk

Scripts are created by developers to automate different database functions. If you select Scripts|Manage Scripts you'll see a list of any scripts created for that database file. To check for scripts that are set to run when a file is opened or closed, Select File|File Options... Under the open/close tab are two Perform Script check boxes if either of these are selected then a file has been selected to run when the file opens (first check box) or when it closes (2nd check box).

Is this file one that you've created or one that was created by someone else?

• 9. Re: data entered yesterday was gone today
                          Papershuffler
                             i checked under file options and "perform script" - when open, is checked,
                          • 10. Re: data entered yesterday was gone today
                            philmodjunk

Papershuffler wrote:
                            i checked under file options and "perform script" - when open, is checked,

And to the right of that check box, you'll find the name of the script being performed. It is possible that that script, may be affecting what you see. If you use Scripts|Manage Scripts.... you should be able to find that script listed under the same name in the File Options dialog box.

I'd suggest opening it and checking it for a possible explanation, but since you asked "What are scripts?", I'm guessing you would have trouble understanding what the script does or doesn't do.

I hate to suggest this, but this is a case where you may need to find someone at your location who knows FMP who will sit down with you and figure it out. A few minutes one on one who can see and manipulate your database file might avoid days of posting back and forth in this forum.