1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 1, 2012 1:04 PM by philmodjunk

Data Entry for Current Table Field with Lookup from Another Table

ShariFoucher

Title

Data Entry for Current Table Field with Lookup from Another Table

I am working in Filemaker Pro 11 on a dog licensing database.  I have several links between tables for various "ID"s.  I have a street id in the owners table that links to the streets table by the street id. When I am adding a new owner, I would like to display a list of the street names from the street table for the user to choose from, and then populate the street id in the owner table with the street id from the street table.

Same concept for the breed id and color id into the registration table.

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thank you.

• 1. Re: Data Entry for Current Table Field with Lookup from Another Table
          philmodjunk

Open Manage Value lists and click New...

enter a name for you value list and select the Use Values from Field option.

Select the Street table in the drop down. above the left hand box which will now list fields from your street table.

Click the ID field to select it.

click the "also display values from second field" option

Select the Street name field for this "second field".

At this point, if you click OK, you'll get a value list with both the ID's and street names shown. Selecting a street from this value list enters the ID.

If you select the "show values only from second field" option, only the street names will appear in the value list, but the ID's will be entered when the user selects a street name. Do not select this option unless you also make sure that every street record in the streets table has a unique name. If two records have the same name (Two streets with the same name are possible) exist only one will appear in the value lists with this option specified.