14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 10:50 AM by TSGal

data entry freezes

firstwiz

Title

data entry freezes

While typing and tabing from one field to the next I will enter a field and it will not take the typing - so I have to click off the field and then click back on again to resume typing - it is very random - sometimes I can go several records and other times it will do this 2 or 3 times with a single record. Anyone ever heard of anything like this? And, how do I fix it????

• 1. Re: data entry freezes
          philmodjunk

Are the fields all part of the same table or do you have fields from related records present?

I'm speculating here, but when you click on the layout background you force Filemaker to commit the record and this could update a field that matches this record to a related record for some of your fields.

• 2. Re: data entry freezes
            firstwiz
               This is just a simple flat database - no related fields
            • 3. Re: data entry freezes
              philmodjunk

What Operating System?

What version of Filemaker?

If you create a brand new file and place a few fields on the layout, do you see the same behavior?

If you create a new layout in your existing file and place a few fields on this layout, do you see the same behavior?

• 4. Re: data entry freezes
                firstwiz

FM Pro 7 (yea, I know, I'm a bit behind the times, but it's all I need) on the Mac

If you create a brand new file and place a few fields on the layout, do you see the same behavior?

Yes

If you create a new layout in your existing file and place a few fields on this layout, do you see the same behavior?

yes

• 5. Re: data entry freezes
                  davidanders

When you see anamolous behavior in a database...

and you have not added fonts to the operating system.

and you have not installed new plugins for that application

and you have not installed new applications.

and you have done your monthly maintenance routines.

and you have not updated your operating system.

Run a Recover from the File Menu.

Test.

Be prepared to revert to your saved known good version. 

• 6. Re: data entry freezes
                    philmodjunk

Are you using Mac OS 10.6 (snow leopard)?

Is this a recent upgrade to snow leopard?

• 7. Re: data entry freezes
                      firstwiz

No, still using 10.5.8

Also, tried a Recover - no change

• 8. Re: data entry freezes
                        philmodjunk

Yeah, I wouldn't have expected recover to work since you report that new files exhibit the same behavior.

Are you running any other apps at the same time? If so, test with just Filemaker running and see if there is any difference.

Since you are a mac user, you can also trash the preferences file for Filemaker and see if that makes a difference.

If all else fails, you might re-install the software and see what happens.

• 9. Re: data entry freezes
                          firstwiz

Are you running any other apps at the same time? If so, test with just Filemaker running and see if there is any difference.

Have done this -

If all else fails, you might re-install the software and see what happens.

Have done this - twice

Since you are a mac user, you can also trash the preferences file for Filemaker and see if that makes a difference.

For this: Do I just dump the whole preferences folder in the Library - then restart Filemaker?

• 10. Re: data entry freezes
                            philmodjunk

I used to be a mac user but haven't much opportunity to work with them in recent years...

Copying from a post by TSGal:

"There are some preference files located in the user account -> Library -> Preferences folder (com.filemaker.* )"

I believe you should just delete those files--not the folder.

(If you are a mac os 10 user and you see an error in this post, please let us know!)

• 11. Re: data entry freezes
                              firstwiz

Thanks - I will try this and let you know - THANKS so much for all of your help - hopefully this will do it

mg

• 12. Re: data entry freezes
                                TSGal

firstwiz:

Thank you for your posts, and "Thank you" to PhilModJunk to help with the troubleshooting.

I have installed FileMaker Pro on my iMac running Mac OS X 10.5.8.  I am able to launch FileMaker Pro 7, create a new table with 10 fields, and enter 50 records with some characters in every field.  Therefore, there is something else occurring on your machine.

First, create a new user account on your Mac, login to that new user account, launch FileMaker Pro, create a new file and try again.  Do you still run into the same problem?  If not, then your original user account may have some problems.  Run "Disk Utility", select the hard drive and repair disk permissions.  If you do have the same problem, try uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker Pro 7.

Do you have access to another Macintosh that you can use for testing purposes?  If so, install FileMaker Pro 7 and try to replicate the problem again.

Any other information you can provide to help me replicate the problem would be appreciated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 13. Re: data entry freezes
                                  firstwiz
                                     Thanks  - I'll try all of that - would it be of any help to send you a copy of the file to see if it works on your mac. Unfortunately I do not have another Mac to try it on.
                                  • 14. Re: data entry freezes
                                    TSGal

firstwiz:

If you haven't found a resolution, then I will be happy to try it on my machine.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.