3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 3:13 PM by philmodjunk

Data entry layout for Parent/Child tables - ideas?

MartinSørensen

Title

Data entry layout for Parent/Child tables - ideas?

I am making a database for our holiday apartment rental, have a look at the entity/relationship diagram below.

Houses are fairly static, and I implement that via a dropdown in the Booking Layout.

Where I have doubts is how best to do the data entry layout for Guests and Bookings. The relationship is one to many (we do have guests coming back), but when entering and editing data I am only interested in seeing one booking along with the guest data (from Contact Table). Ideally I should be able to search and choose guest name (if repeat) or enter a new, along with booking dates etc.

I am comfortable with basic DB theory (have used DB2 on mainframe), but very new to frontends.

Thanks

Martin

EntRel1.png

• 1. Re: Data entry layout for Parent/Child tables - ideas?
          philmodjunk

The basic tool for managing one to many data entry in FileMaker is called a portal. Are you familiar with them?

A Portal to Booking can be placed on a House Layout. Fields fromm Contact may be added to the Booking layout as needed to supply more info about the person booked once you select their contact ID in Booking::ContactID.

Several different methods may be used to limit the number of booking records visible in this portal. You can filter the portal to a specific date or range of dates, to describe one possible way.

This is not the only approach possible.

• 2. Re: Data entry layout for Parent/Child tables - ideas?
            MartinSørensen

Familiar is a big word - I am sitting with "FMP11 - The Missing Manual". I was under the impression that portals was used for displaying a number of related records, and for data entry I only really want to display one - and in particular creating records in both Booking and Contact simultaneously.

If I can get the portal to display in List View I could use that - sorting so newest was displayed first.

My thought was then to have Booking as a portal in the Contact (i.e. Guest) Layout, as I would be entering most of those data simultaneously. At everyday data entry, I only need the House Name, but to fill at least six fields in Booking and five in Contact. In total there are 13 editable fields in Booking.

As I see it, it is more a question of being able to display all the Booking fields in a sensible way.

• 3. Re: Data entry layout for Parent/Child tables - ideas?
              philmodjunk

I was under the impression that portals was used for displaying a number of related records, and for data entry I only really want to display one

Portals can be set to display any number of records as needed. If you only need to see one such record, you can set the portal to display just one "row". You also are not restricted to the default "miniature table" format either. You can resize your single row as needed to get more of a "miniature form view" of your related record. A portal isn't strictly necessary here, but with FileMaker 11, you can use Portal Filtering to restrict what records are displayed in your portal.

If I can get the portal to display in List View I could use that - sorting so newest was displayed first.

Portals in List View can be done and portals in any view can be sorted to display the newest record first or even just the newest record.

You can certainly implement a portal to booking from the Contact layout and can even add fields from the House table to display info on the selected house once you have selected a house ID in your booking portal.