3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 10:31 AM by brian.bentley

Data Entry question

brian.bentley

Title

Data Entry question

I am trying to configure different fields in a database. I would like to have Filemaker alert me when the I enter a field and try to override current data. For example, I would like to be alerted if the new entry is a number less than the original entry. Any suggestions?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Data Entry question
          philmodjunk

Use an OnObjectEnter trigger to capture the current field value in a global variable.

This can be a single line script:

Set Variable [$$OldValue ; value: YourTable::YourFIeld]

You can use the same script with multiple fields if you pass GetFieldName ( YourTable::YourField ) as a script parameter to the script and use this line:

Set Variable [$$Oldvalue ; value: GetField ( Get ( ScriptParameter ) )]

Now a validation calculation can test self against $$OldValue to see how they match up:

Self > $$OldValue

could be used to trigger a validation error if the value entered is less than the original. You'll need to modify this if negative values are possible valid entries as an initial value in the field.

• 2. Re: Data Entry question
            brian.bentley

Thank you so much! I am able to get it to work with the original field, but am having trouble geting it to work with additional fields.

• 3. Re: Data Entry question
              brian.bentley

I found my missing step and now it works for all the fields. Again, Thank you so much!