6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2009 9:36 AM by philmodjunk

data entry using portal question

robertsres

Title

data entry using portal question

moving existing database from access'97 to filemaker... having issues making a fast data entry layout for entering new orders... the primary key feild is unknown to person doing data entry... they want to use auto-lookup from customer name table... can do this using a portal to enter order info, but when the customer has lots of orders, it is a nightmare to scroll down to the last line... and if I do data entry from the order table I am unable to get lookup from the customer table...

what am I doing wrong?   on pg 335 of the 'missing manual' they indicate this is an issue in a side bar note, and say they will address it later int he chapter... have read the chapter over and over and can't see where....

somebody help... please. 

karen

• 1. Re: data entry using portal question
          philmodjunk

"when the customer has lots of orders, it is a nightmare to scroll down to the last line... and if I do data entry from the order table I am unable to get lookup from the customer table..."

You might want to set up some global fields to enter the data for a new order and use a button or script trigger to transfer the data to your table and then clear the fields for the next entry. That would eliminate the scrolling. you could also set a sort so that a new blank record sorts to the top of the portal. Then a scripted button could create that new record and drop the cursor into the new portal row for data entry.

Or you could just set up a button with "go to portal row [last]" to jump to the last portal row with one click.

"...and if I do data entry from the order table I am unable to get lookup from the customer table..."

I don't get why that's a problem. Perhaps you could spell out in more detail.

PS. I speak "Access" so feel free to use terms from what you know in that system and I'll help you "convert" to filemaker. :smileywink:

• 2. Re: data entry using portal question
            robertsres

well, I must say, either I am losing my mind, or the transistion is harder than I thougth... I think I am over-thinking it way too much, so bear with me....

I am not sure why I am having the second issue either, which is how I prefer to enter the orders... in access, we would enter the sales info, along with teh customer name (which I am ashamed to say we were using as a primary key - but in my defense I did not set up the intial system)  the look up worked great as the data entry person was familiar with the sutmoer name, but with a primary key, no such luck.  

I have a layout with the feilds form the sales database, and the related customer name feild from the customer database, but when trying to enter data, I ma unable to enter data into the feilds from the related tables...  the info appears when a custID is entered intot teh custIDfk feildl, but I am unable to lookup fomr teh customer table.  

in access, this was a simple look-up feild.  but I am having a hard time understanding the diferenced with the look-up feilds in filemaker and access... 

am I any clearer?  probably not.... but any help is greatly appreciated. 

thanks. 

K

• 3. Re: data entry using portal question
              robertsres
                 I jsut double checked to make sure, and I have checked the "allow creation of records via this relationship" in my relationship
              • 4. Re: data entry using portal question
                robertsres

go to portal row last works great.  thanks.  but I am still not understanding look-up value... it doesn't get teh info from the table, does it?  this is different from access, and I am sure better, but how do I perform this function?  I want the info from the parent table to be added to the child table from looking up the feild... am I making any better sense?  not trying to be bothersome, but tyring to add more clarity.. .

k

• 5. Re: data entry using portal question
                  TSGal

robertres:

Thank you for your posts.

It may be a matter of semantics, but it sounds like you just want to display information from another table.  That is, enter a value into a "key" field and have information from the other table displayed.  This can be accomplished using a Portal where it displays information from another table.

On the other hand, Lookup fields allow you to enter information into a key field, and then information in another table is looked up based upon that key value and returns information back into the current table.  A common usage of this is a Sales Order, where you enter a part number, and the Price is looked up and put into a Price field of the Sales Order.  If at a later time, the Price changes, that price is reflected in new Sales Orders, but it doesn't change the price for previous records.  Does that make sense?

In a portal, you can adjust the sort order.  You may want to consider sorting by the date descending.  That way, the most current transaction appears at the top of the portal list.

If you are still having difficulty, please describe an example of what you are trying to accomplish, what you would like to see happen, and what you are seeing now.  That may help give us a better understanding.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: data entry using portal question
                    philmodjunk

With regards to using a numerical primary key to access related data.

In both Access and Filemaker, you can set up a drop down (combo box in Access) where column 1 is the numerical id and column 2 is the customer name. Thus the user selects by name in column 2, but is entering the numerical ID number into the actual field.

In all honesty, Access still handles this issue much better and with more options than filemaker, but the two column value list can be made to work in Filemaker.