4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 11:44 AM by JonathanOxborrow

Data Entry with Pop up Menus

JonathanOxborrow

Title

Data Entry with Pop up Menus

I'm making a database that needs to have data-entry done fairly often.  For one of the layouts I have several drop-down menus populated by values lists.  Unfortunately, drop-down menus don't open automatically if they're selected via tab.  Is there a way to add this functionality?

• 1. Re: Data Entry with Pop up Menus
          philmodjunk

Would I be correct that you are using a Mac system? Both Drop down lists and popup menus do open when I tab into them on a Windows system. on a Mac, your best option might be to change the filed format to drop down list instead of pop up menu.

PS. On both systems, you can't get a drop down list to deploy if you have selected the arrow option, but they will deploy if you don't select that option.

• 2. Re: Data Entry with Pop up Menus
            JonathanOxborrow

I am using a mac and i'm using pop-up menus not drop-downs.  I typed the wrong one in.  Drop down lists do give me the proper behavior, except that they don't display the correct value from my value lists.  My value lists connect with a different table based on the foreign key but display a value from a different field.  I was using pop up menus because they only show the value of the other field, but the drop down list displays the foreign key.

• 3. Re: Data Entry with Pop up Menus
              philmodjunk

Drop down lists do give me the proper behavior, except that they don't display the correct value from my value list

But this does not change the fact that your pop up menus will not deploy on Mac systems when you tab into them. Fortunately, there are ways to set up your layout to use a drop down list and yet the data from the "2nd field" value of your value list is the value that is visible when you exit the drop down list.

Assuming that you have this relationship, but with your names used in place of mine:

LayoutTable::ID = ValueListTable::ID

and the field 2 field for your value list is ValueListTable::Name...

You can place a copy of ValueListTable::Name on top of the LayoutTable::ID field that you have formatted as your drop down list of IDs and Names from the Value List Table. Use the Inspector's behavior settings to deny browse mode access to this copy of the name field.Give this field an opaque fill color so that it hides the ID field.

When you click on or tab into the ID field, The drop down list pops to the front and deploys. After you select a value, it disappears back behind the valueLIstTable::Name field--which now displays the associated name for the ID you just selected in the drop down list.

• 4. Re: Data Entry with Pop up Menus
                JonathanOxborrow

That last tip did the trick, never would have thought of it.  Thanks!