4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 9:33 AM by mike.goss@citta.co.uk

Data File Date and Time Stamps

mike.goss@citta.co.uk

Title

Data File Date and Time Stamps

I have a database up and running in a Windows Multiuser environment. The Data and Interface files are seperate.

I have an external backup procedure that monitors the Windows File Atributes of the data file to determine whether or not to include it in a backup.

Sometimes it can for days without backing up the datafile, because the file attributes have not been updated even though the datafile definitely has been updated. I can see no pattern as to how and when the file attributes are updated.

Note the datafile is permanently kept open on the server to allow users to access it at any time.

• 1. Re: Data File Date and Time Stamps
          philmodjunk

Is your file hosted with FileMaker Server or FileMaker Pro? With either set up, you can set up a system that saves a back up copy on a regular schedule and then your 3rd party back up sofware can make a back up of this back up file.

Note, 3rd party backup software should never be set up to back up a FileMaker file that is still open. A back up copy from such a source could be damaged by the backup process and thus such a back up may be of no use to you.

• 2. Re: Data File Date and Time Stamps
            mike.goss@citta.co.uk

It is hosted with Filemaker Pro.

Please advise how I can save a backup copy on a regular schedule.

Mike

• 3. Re: Data File Date and Time Stamps
              philmodjunk

There are multiple options. If you close the file on the host machine each night, a script can use Save a Copy as.. to save a copy of the file to a folder where your back up software can be set to save a copy of the file each time that you close the file on the Host.

You could also leave the file open 24-7 on the host machine and use Install OnTimer Script to save a copy of the file once every specified time interval such as once every 24 hours.

And a "robot file" can be set up on the Host computer where an OS based scheduler such as Windows Scheduled Tasks is set to open the robot file once a day. The robot file is set up with a script that is performed "onFirstWindowOpen" to run a script in the host file that saves a copy of the file.

For examples of the Install Ontimer Script method, See: Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development

The script performed by the Timer could be adapted to work with any of these methods.

• 4. Re: Data File Date and Time Stamps
                mike.goss@citta.co.uk

Thanks, most helpful.

I'll take a look and then discuss it with my client

Mike