9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2010 3:36 PM by storywizard

Data from Portal

storywizard

Title

Data from Portal

Hello:

I have a portal on a layout that documents by week the progress of the production of various texts that we produce.

I wanted to be able to make another layouut using the fields of the portal to give me "a week at a time" in list view. But when I do a find I do not get the week I am looking for but just the latest data in any of the records.

What I want to be able to have is the ability to view any week and have all the records show that week in my find request

Sorry if that is not clear...

Storywizard

BS3.jpg

• 1. Re: Data from Portal
          philmodjunk

IF your layout is based on the same table as the above portal, this should work. Can you confirm that if you open Layout setup... for your new layout, you see the portal's table listed in "Show records from"?

• 2. Re: Data from Portal
            storywizard

Hi Phil:

yes both layouts are from the same table...

we did not know this was not working untill we had data in the portal, it was a great surprise to us. It looks good, but there is something amiss...

OK silly question:

although all the portal fields are from the same table there are fields on the layout from other tables that I fill in when I do  find. Could this be the problem??

Story

• 3. Re: Data from Portal
              philmodjunk

How can both layouts be from the same table? Unless you have defined a self join linking the same table to itself, the layout shown above and your new layout should not refer to the same table.

The layout where you are performing the search should refer to the same table as specified in portal setup... of the above layout.

Otherwise, your finds are searching the wrong table.

To answer your question about fields from related tables, this is something to be done carefully. If you enter criteria in a field from a related table, you are telling FileMaker to find all records in the Layout's table, that have at least one related record with the specified criteria. AFter the find completes, the layout is back in browse mode and the usual rules apply concerning what related data will be displayed, you might not even see the data from the related record that resulted in the record being found.

• 4. Re: Data from Portal
                storywizard

Quote:

IF  your layout is based on the same table as the above portal, this should  work. Can you confirm that if you open Layout setup... for your new  layout, you see the portal's table listed in "Show records from"?

Quote:

How can both layouts be from the same table

OK I am confused now.

I think I had better go study some info on portals and related records, I am totally confused now...

That is the trouble with not using any software enough to get great skills...

Story

• 5. Re: Data from Portal
                  philmodjunk

Every layout refers to a specific "box" called a "table occurrence" in Manage | Database | Relationships. You'll find this name listed in "show records from" in Layout setup...

Every portal refers to a specific table occurrence in Manage | Database | Relationships as well. Its name will be listed in the "Show records from" box in Portal setup...

If you are going to specifically search the records listed in the above portal, you should use a layout that refers to the same table in layout setup as you have listed in Portal Setup... of the above layout.

Clear?

In contrast, if you performed a find on the above layout and enter a number in the portal to specify the desired week, you'll find any layout record where at least one related record listed in the portal has that week number, but all related portal records, both those that match the specified week number as well as those that don't will be listed in the portal.

• 6. Re: Data from Portal
                    storywizard

But both my layouts are from the same table occurence, which I thought was your question

S

• 7. Re: Data from Portal
                      philmodjunk

And they should not be unless both portal and layout refer to the same data-source table as defined in a "self join".

Note that I said the new layout should be on the same table occurrence as the portal--not the original layout.

• 8. Re: Data from Portal
                        storywizard

Ahhhhh, let me try that...

sorry it takes me while to get up to speed...

You are a very patient man...Thanks Phil:-)

S

• 9. Re: Data from Portal
                          storywizard

Beautiful!

Thanks so much Phil

Storywizard