2 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2009 5:23 AM by aregee

Data input

aregee

Title

Data input

Hi everyone,

I'm new to filemaker and I hope someone can help me with a problem.

I want to make a file with data and there is one particular data that has been taken over a few time points and I don't know how to put in the record without making the database to messy. So I want to add a certain value multiple times in a record.

I hope the problem was explained clearly and I'm looking forward to any solution.

Best regards

• 1. Re: Data input
          Jade

Hi Aregee,

You are right.  If you try to use a Repeating Field in your record, it will be too messy.

The accepted practice is to create a new table for this particular data and add a 'Portal' of this new table to your layout.  That way, you can add one or more time points to each record using the Portal.  Each record in this new table can hold the timestamp, the data point, and a foreign key as well as a primary key of its own.

Do you have a unique primary key on your table record?  If so, you can use this as a foreign key on this new table to link these two tables together using the Relationship Graph (see the menu: File>Manage>Database…).

For details on  how to create a portal, please refer to the topic "Creating portals to hold related records" in the FMP help menu.

• 2. Re: Data input
            aregee

Hi Jade,

Thank you for the tip. I will try it and let you know what the result is.