7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2009 7:41 PM by mayor

Data is not updated from remote computer.

mayor

Title

Data is not updated from remote computer.

Hello,

I almost finish my development and have install FM Server 9 to host my database.

I facing a problem when run database from remote (user computer). Data has entered is not save,

when I close the database and open it up, the old data is displyed, not updated. This is not happen

when I open the database from local computer.

FYI, the data that is not updated are using global variable.

Advice me how to solve it.

TQ

• 1. Re: Data is not updated from remote computer.
          davidhead

I think you mean global field rather than global variable. Correct me if I am wrong.

The standard behaviour of global fields is that when you run  the database from a remote computer, you are a guest of the database, and the initial values are those stored in the global fields. As a guest, you can update those global values but they are only applicable to that session by that user. When the database is closed, the changed values are lost.

The question is what data are you storing in these global fields and why do you want to update it? 

• 2. Re: Data is not updated from remote computer.
            mayor

Ok, the situation like this.

I got 4 database files which is vot21, vot23, vot24, vot25. Each table consist of these field;

po_no, po_amount, budget_amount (global), additional_budget_amount (global), and all these tables are link with po_no.

When I design a report layout for all these 4 files, the amount of budget_amount is displayed when it setting as global field and vice verse. That why I set as global field, but when I run this report from remote computer, the problem is global field is note updated.

For the budget_amount, actually I want to key-in real data instead of testing data, but it cannot be stored. So, what is your suggestion, whether using a global field or what??

Please help me...

TQ

• 3. Re: Data is not updated from remote computer.
              mayor

Still waiting your suggestion & solution.

TQ

• 4. Re: Data is not updated from remote computer.
                hiatts

You mention Global Field and Global Variable. They are very different.

Which one is it? 

• 5. Re: Data is not updated from remote computer.
                  mayor

Actually it is global field.

One more thing is, I design 1 layout to display data from 4 database and it works when I run it from local computer, and I believe my relational is working, but when I run it from server, all the data is not displayed.

Why and how ?

TQ

• 6. Re: Data is not updated from remote computer.
                    davidhead

I am finding it very difficult to help you because I can't understand what you are trying to do. It seems you are assuming I know what your system is designed for - bad assumption.

First, you have "4 database files which is vot21, vot23, vot24, vot25" - why? What is the difference between each file? Why are they not all tables in a single file?

Second, you said "Each table consist of these field" - so are you saying that each file has one table and that each table is identical to the others?

Third, you say "When I design a report layout for all these 4 files". Do you mean when you design a report layout in each file? Or one report layout (where?) for combining data from all the files? 

Also, you said "when I run this report from remote computer, the problem is global field is note updated". Did you read my original comment about how global fields behave? This is expected.

So after all that, I am totally confused as to exactly what you are trying to do. Maybe you can try to explain? 

• 7. Re: Data is not updated from remote computer.
                      mayor

Thanks for your idea, I not really understand interm of database and try to modify it soon.

TQ