3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2009 6:32 PM by disabled_menno

Data not displaying in portals

msoule12

Title

Data not displaying in portals

I'm doing an inventory database that have tables of employees, vendors, software and assignments. When I assign software to an employee, that software shows up in the employee layout with a portal pointing to assignments, and a drop down list from software.

I have a layout that is based on software and a portal that should show all the people with that particular software assigned to them. I can't get anybody to show up in the portal, even though they appear in the assignment table. What am I doing wrong?

Help!!

• 1. Re: Data not displaying in portals
          Orlando

Hi msoule12

Could you provide more information on how the relationship in the Table Occurrence Graph is setup between Software and assignments. Which fields are the join based on and what the field contain.

• 2. Re: Data not displaying in portals
            msoule12

vendor table: pk vendor, fk employee, fkLicense

Software table: PK license, fk assignment, fk vendor, fk employee

Assignments table: pk assignment, fk license, fk vendor, fk employee

Employee table: fk assignment, fk license, fk vendor, pk employee

pk vendor (vendor table) linked to fk vendor (software table)

pk license (software table) linked to fk license (assignments table)

pk license (assignments table) linked to fk license (employee table)

• 3. Re: Data not displaying in portals

The portal you put on the software-layout should be the table occurence assignment and in that portal you should place a field from the employee database ... it should work fine ..... However I think it is a bit of an odd datamodel (sorry) and I think that your aim is to enter the softwarepackages from a certain vendor only once and that you would like to enter the employees also only once. You probably want to keep track of the licenses of software that are in use by the different employees.

That in mind you may change the model as follows:

pk vendor (vendor table) linked to fk vendor (software table)        [the same]

pk license (software table) linked to fk license (assignments table) [the same]

fk employee (assignment table) linked to pk employee (employee table) [changed]

On your layout with software as base table you need to place the portal with the assignment table occurrence and on that portal you can show fields from the employee table.