10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 1:26 PM by TSGal

data not saved in global text field after database closed

rlegates

Title

data not saved in global text field after database closed

I have a global text field (part of a letter template) that seems to work normally, until I close the database. When I reopen the database, the field has reverted to old text that I had previously deleted or changed. Why won't it save the new text? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm using FileMaker Pro 8.0v1 and the database is hosted on a FileMaker 7 server. I haven't encountered any other problems with data not being saved in any other fields. Thanks.

• 1. Re: data not saved in global text field after database closed
          rlegates
             Sorry, just read the Help file. Apparently FileMaker doesn't save this data from client machines on a shared database. Maybe they fixed this glitch in a newer version??
          • 2. Re: data not saved in global text field after database closed
            TSGal

rlegates:

Everyone has access to their own set of global fields.  Otherwise, if two people are trying to use the same global field and one makes a change without noticing, a replacement could give wrong information to the second user.  Therefore, this is as designed.

In FileMaker Server, the file is being hosted, and it contains the master global values.  Each time you log into a file, the global values of the host will display.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: data not saved in global text field after database closed
              ninja

howdy TSGal,

This is not a problem or question...more like an FYI that you may feel free to straighten me out on...

I'm on FMP 8.0v2.  All DB are hosted (unknown server version, sorry).  Many of my global fields come back blank when I close and reopen a client machine.

Since I only use globals to filter relationships between TO's I simply have five "SetFields" on my opening script to shove the values back into the global fields.  It was often enough and widespread enough to need a workaround like that.

OK, perhaps there IS a question...how do you change or set "master global values" ?

Please feel free to post or PM me if I'm missing something that I shouldn't be.

(Or start a new thread...I feel like a hijacker...maybe I am...oops!)

• 4. Re: data not saved in global text field after database closed
                TSGal

Ninja:

No, this should be on the same thread.

To change the master global values, close out FileMaker Server and open the file locally with FileMaker Pro.  Change the Global fields to the values you want, and then quit.  Launch FileMaker Server and the new values will be present.

Once again, any changes you make as a guest will be only for that session.  When you launch the file again, the host values will be shown. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: data not saved in global text field after database closed
                  Sorbsbuster

Sorry if I'm being thick, but can I maybe just confirm what I think you said?

It took me a while to discover that original behaviour characteristic, and eventually I worked out that effectively the Filemaker file had a notion of 'Local-Globals' (for all the uses and reasons TSGal says), and then 'Global-Globals' which were available to all, as they were effectively the Server's Global field values.

My problem was (is) that there are some occasions where I want a Global value to most definitiely be a Global-Global.  For example, I could have an 'Update All Records' routine that is run by a script, and can be run by any client user at any time.  If it is a little time consuming and not terribly necessary for it to be current up-to-the-minute, I let the user run the script as they see appropriate (say if they've just input a very large order), and post the date and time of that latest Update to a Global Field, available for display on all clients' screens so they can see when it was last done, and potentially save themselves wasting time re-running it again.

I remember trying various ways to take that locally-generated date and time stamp and to flush (and retain!) it in a Global-Global field for all users to then immediately see.

The only ways that I could get it to work reliably are so inelegant that I am embarrassed to confess to them.  Does anyone have a neat, clean, reliable way to achieve this effect?  I'm reading from TSGal's comment that the only way to achieve it is to shut down the Server ("Eeek!"), re-open on a local client, etc...

Alan.

• 6. Re: data not saved in global text field after database closed
                    TSGal

Sorbsbuster:

Several years ago I ran into the same problem of everyone having access to the same global.  What I did was create another table, GLOBAL, that had one record and one field with a value.  As part of my startup script, the value from GLOBAL was put into the global field in the other table.  That way, everyone had access to the same global value.  Also, if I ever needed to change the global field value, I could just replace the value in GLOBAL.  That way, the next time someone opened the database, the new value was put into the global field.  There was no reason for me to close down Server.

Does that make sense?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: data not saved in global text field after database closed
                      ninja

Thanks TSGal,

That's exactly what I'm doing in my startup script with the "SetField"s up front...I thought I was just daffy for not knowing a better way.

Is there a reason FMP was designed to treat globals this way?  I can't see the advantage...but then my eyes are very small...

• 8. Re: data not saved in global text field after database closed
                        TSGal

Ninja:

Imagine five people using the same database.  One user changes the global field.  That user decides to execute a script that replaces a field with the global field across a found set of records.  Before that script is run, User #2 changes the global field value.  User #1 would then replace with the wrong information.

Therefore, that is the reason why each person has their own global storage value.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: data not saved in global text field after database closed
                          Sorbsbuster

TSGal : I can see clearly why I would want all Clients to have their own global data (for me: 'Local-Globals'), and your solution to providing a 'Global-Global' certainly works, but forgive me if I describe it as 'about as inelegant as any of my solutions'.  Too many things to potentially go wrong or be overlooked in my (your, our...) solutions: an additional table, lock down 'Cannot Create or Delete Records'...

In fact, the first time that I used the concept of a Filemaker Global Field (in about 1876, if I remember correctly) I assumed that 'Global' meant 'Global-Global', and I dreamed up all sorts of workarounds to try and allow each user to have their own value.  I was *thrilled* when I started to play with it and realised that everyone automatically had their own 'Local-Global'!

But I do not think that your solution tidily satisfies my example problem.  A similar one would be everyone using an updated, centrally-available, daily currency exchange rate, for example, authorised to be updated by the Financial CEO only.  For me, the solution would be the ability to have a similar distinction between '$Variables' which are for single-script use only, and '$$Variables' for use across all scripts.  Let's have a '$Global' and a '$$Global', and then Ninja et al would have total control and total clarity about what variables they are using and storing where.

But I certainly agree that if I have a choice of only one of the types, the type that Filemaker have opted for is the better by far.

Alan.

PS: Small point of trivia: I did the politeness, this time, of clicking the 'Check spelling' button.  Should someone not suggest to the dictionary on the Filemaker Forum (and while we're at it, the Filemaker Application installed English Dictionary) that 'Filemaker' is a perfectly good word...?

• 10. Re: data not saved in global text field after database closed
                            TSGal

All:

I'm sure we could discuss this for days.  :-)

I was merely trying to explain why the option was chosen.  If you want this changed, please enter this into our feature request web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

I could easily copy and paste all of your suggestions, but there are questions on this form that only each individual person could answer.

When putting in the request, don't just say "Please add this feature."  From past experience, I have noticed Product Marketing taking a longer look at those suggestions that have real life examples and the reason why they want the feature and the barriers they are encountering currently.  In other words, you need to be able to sell your idea.

Please don't shoot the messenger!  I'm just trying to give you a realistic scenario.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.