AnsweredAssumed Answered

Data Separation Model Questions

Question asked by fred@kca-inc.com on Nov 16, 2011
Latest reply on Nov 16, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Data Separation Model Questions

I am building an enterprise application in FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced.  So far there are 28 physical tables each with 2-3 instances.  The record count for any specific table will be relatively small (hundreds). There will be many users accessing the data from (hopefully) desktop, iPad & web interfaces.  The data separation model seems like it will work great.  I have some questions which I hope will save me bunches of time. I have separated the code & data in to 2 files (code & Data).  My only goal here is to have the data on a central server for all to access from code which will either be server or client resident (haven't got that far yet).

1) I'm assuming that table instances in the Relationships graph are "phantom" tables and don't actually store physical data.  If this is the case, should they be created in the code or data file?  Are there performance implications for either?  It seems like it might be cleaner if I just show the physical tables in the datafile and keep all of the extra instances and relationships in the code file.

2) I use several temporary tables for interface functions (import data, perform script functions, delete data).  These are user specific during the UI functions.  It seems to make sense to put the temp tables in the code file.  What do you think?

2) Many of my complex functions only seem to work if the relationships between tables & table instances are maintained in the datafile.  Are there guidelines for where the relationships should be maintained?

3) How do I tell FileMaker Go to find the datafile?  Could both code and data be resident on the iPad/iPhone as well (realizing I can't share the data). How do I tell Go that there are 2 files?

4) Can I use the separation model for building a web client from FMP11 Advanced?

Sorry to be so long winded.  If someone can answer these questions for me, it will save me many hours of experimentation.

Thanks

Fred

Outcomes