AnsweredAssumed Answered

data sharing question

Question asked by FrankBell on Jan 13, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

data sharing question

I'm currently using a trial version of FMP, to figure out whether it'll do what I want. It'll do the job, I'm sure, on one machine. But I'm a little confused on sharing data... perhaps someone can clarify for me.

I'd develop and maintain the program on one computer, and the actual data entry would occur primarily on another computer (just one). I believe I'm allowed two installations of the program, so that should work.There'd be perhaps three other computer users on the same network who would need some access to the data, and would make occasional entries.

Main question: to what extend can that data be shared with others using IWP in the same network? Can other users run reports, print reports, access the data directly on IWP? Can they enter and/or change data relatively easily? With just a few users, would it be slow and cumbersome? (We're on a Microsoft 2003 Server network, but don't want or need the expense of a server version of FMP).

Second question: do I need FMP Advanced for any reason involving sharing? I could make a runtime version with Advanced, but as I understand it, couldn't share data entered on one computer with another.

And a heresy question... is there another database program which would do what I want more easily? (Sorry!)

Outcomes