5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2013 1:27 PM by philmodjunk

Data source issue/connecting two databases

BrandiClark

Title

Data source issue/connecting two databases

I have created an inventory database and a contacts database that I would like to create a relationship between. When a client makes a purchase, I would like to add the item to their record and have their name automatically add to the item's page, so we can see who purchased a piece if we need to look it up for some reason. 

The problem I have encountered is that the contacts database does not show up as a data source when I attempt to make the relationship. 

Is there a secret to adding the contacts database as a data source or do I need to build it a certain way from the inventory database? I've been working on this for a couple of days, and i don't seem to be getting any closer. Thanks for your help!

Brandi

• 1. Re: Data source issue/connecting two databases
          philmodjunk

Open Manage | Database | Relationships.

Click the button in the bottom far left corner of the window to create a new table occurrence.

Select "Add FileMaker Data Source" from the drop down in the dialog that appears when you click this window.

Use the dialog that then opens to find your copy of the contacts starter solution and select it.

Then select the desired data source table from the list of such from that file.

You now have a table occurrence that refers to a table in the Contacts starter solution and you can reference it in other parts of your inventory database just as though this field was defined in the inventory file. This process also creates an entry in Manage | External Data Sources that refers to the file. The one Caveate is that this reference refers to a specific file located in a specific folder on your computer. If you move the contacts database or change it's name, FileMaker will be unable to find and open this file when your inventory file references data in this table.

• 2. Re: Data source issue/connecting two databases
            BrandiClark

Thanks for your reply, PhilModJunk! Where, exactly, is the new table occurrence button? I've been looking through all of the various windows, but I can't find it. Thank you!

• 3. Re: Data source issue/connecting two databases
              philmodjunk

Open Manage | Database | Relationships from the FILE menu.

Click the button in the bottom far left corner of the Manage Database window to create a new table occurrence.

• 4. Re: Data source issue/connecting two databases
                BrandiClark

It shows up in my relationships tab, and I am able to create a Relationship, but it doesn't show up on my Tables tab, and the field I'm trying to get to populate comes back filled with <Unrelated Table>. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm not doing. Thank you for your help and your patience!

• 5. Re: Data source issue/connecting two databases
                  philmodjunk

It will not appear in the tables tab nor does it need to. It's not a table that you've defined in the local file and those are the only ones that appear on the tables tab.

If you are getting <Unrelated Table>, it would appear that you have not linked your new table occurrence to the table occurrence of the layout where you attempted to add this field.