3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 9:54 AM by philmodjunk

Data Table and Chart views

MeredithSkowronski

Title

Data Table and Chart views

Hello!  What I am trying to do is create a chart from a table that I have and have them both displayed side by side on the same page.  So far, I can display the table and the chart separately, but not side by side.   Is this possible?  Please help! 

• 1. Re: Data Table and Chart views
          philmodjunk

It's not impossible to do that, but the details depend on the structure of the data you are charting. Can you describe that and what version of FileMaker (11 or 12?) you are using? In particular, do you chart all the data in your table or a selected sub set of it? If a sub set, how do you select what data will be charted?

One possibility is to use a portal to display your data table. A calculation field using ExecuteSQL (FileMaker 12 only) is another, and those aren't the only options.

• 2. Re: Data Table and Chart views
            MeredithSkowronski

Thank you for responding! I am currently using FileMaker 12.   I made a simple data table and I am selecting all of it for my chart.  I have one X value and 2 Y values. I can make the chart fine, but I want to try and show the table and the chart on one page and print it that way. Possible?  How does the portal work?

Is there a relatively simple way to do this? I am new to Filemaker!  Thank you!

• 3. Re: Data Table and Chart views
              philmodjunk

The key info is that you are charting all the data in your table. That makes it easy to set up a relationship that enables you to use a portal to list all the data points used. If, in the future, you find that you only want to chart some of the data in your table, you have to include a portal filter or modify the relationship so that your portal only shows the data points you have selected for your chart.

Here's how to set up a portal listing all the data in your table:

In Manage | Database | relationships, make a new table occurrence of YourTable by clicking it and then clicking the duplicate button (2 green plus signs). You can double click the new occurrence box to get a dialog to appear where you can rename the new occurrence box.

We have not duplicated a table. Instead, this is a new reference to the same table already present in your database.

Add it to your relationships like this:

YourTable::anyField X YourTable 2::anyfield.

To get the cartesian join operator (x) instead of =, double click the relationship line to open a dialog where you can make this change.

Then place aportal to YourTable 2 on your layout and select the fields you want from this Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? for your data table.