5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2009 6:17 PM by CountryBoy1

Data updates under Vista

CountryBoy1

Title

Data updates under Vista

Should updates under one account (Administrator) not show up when running

under a standard account in Vista Home Premium operating system ?  Installed
       a Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced program (.exe) on a Vista computer.  Made updates under

Administrator but they don't show up when logged in as standard account.

Thanks for your help.  CountryBoy1

• 1. Re: Data updates under Vista
          TSGal

CountryBoy1:

Thank you for your post.

The Admin account is set for Full Access.  Does your other account also have Full Access privileges?  If not, do your privileges allow you to view records created by others?  I will need more detailed information about your accounts and privileges.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Data updates under Vista
            CountryBoy1

Dear TSGal:

The program has two accounts.  One is "Admin" and the

other is "User1".  The program is normally run under User1.  User1

has customized record and layout access.  It limits User1 to just 

one particular layout but allows normal editing.

I have run the program in Vista with both administrative and

standard modes, always in User1 account for the program. I edited

the data in Vista administrative mode but when I go to Vista standard mode,

the changes are not there. It appears there are two sets of data, one for

administrative mode and one for standard mode.

Appreciate your help.  CountryBoy1

• 3. Re: Data updates under Vista
              TSGal

CountryBoy1:

Thanks for the clarification.

I thought you were talking about FileMaker account privileges.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

With your two accounts on Vista, make sure you have the right privileges for read and write.  Create a new database file with one field.  See if you are able to add a record in both Windows accounts, and see if the data is saved.  If not, there is a problem with the system.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Data updates under Vista
                philmodjunk
                   Any chance you have two copies of the database file--one that you're opening with the first user account and one that you are opening with the second account? You might try altering the name of your file and then switching accounts. If the 2nd account still shows the original file name, you have two copies of the file.
                • 5. Re: Data updates under Vista
                  CountryBoy1

Dear PhilModJunk:

Been delayed on this problem but found out that Vista creates .USR files for Filemaker

Executables (see http://filext.com/file-extension/USR for "Filemaker"). By browsing around,

found out that a .USR file is created for each Vista account, so therefore, there is an instance

for each account.  I think that's why I'm seeing essentially two different programs and when
                          I edit in one, it doesn't show up in the other.  Not really happy about this. 

CountryBoy1